X

Few ??'s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few ??'s

Hey i have an 88 katana 600 and when i sit on the bike the rear suspension is really loose (springy) is it common for these bikes to have a springier rear end. my friend had a 87 honda hurrican and i dont recall it being that bouncy. its not uncomfortable riding just when sitting at a light you move or shift your legs a little and you can feel the suspension travel. and would that affect inspection. also does anyone have specs for an 88 katana 600 (gsx 600f) 1/4 mile times 0-60 and 0-100 times

you need to set the sag. the shock has adjustments to compensate for rider weight. search here for shock adjustment if you do not have the manual.

btw, I assume the bike in your avatar is not the one you describe? because that one is a 98+

Comment

under the seat there is a dampening adjuster. it has three settings, soft, medium, and hard. pull it out to hard and see if that helps. if not, you can adjust the load on the spring.

Long Live the D

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the rear shock assembly on an 18 year old bike has given up the ghost (most do in 5 to 8 years). Check to see if the preload is jacked up and the dampening is also, and if it is & is still soggy, then it's time to seek out a replacement.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If it is real springy, the shock may be bad. Some shocks can be rebuilt, but Im not sure about yours.
          Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by WV750rider
            If it is real springy, the shock may be bad. Some shocks can be rebuilt, but Im not sure about yours.
            OEM shocks for the Katana's can not be rebuilt. Most aftermarket shocks can.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

nope

no the pic in my avatar is not my bike but it is similar in color. i hopefully will have pics of my bike up this weekend and set in my profile. you can adjust an 88 spring tension i was looking for the adjustment and couldn't find it. guess i will have to look harder

Comment

Re: nope

Originally posted by macgyver
                i was looking for the adjustment and couldn't find it. guess i will have to look harder
                At the base of the rear shock should be a stepped 7 level collar that can be rotated (normally using a crescent-moon shaped tool in the toolkit) which adjusts the rear spring compression (aka Preload). It may be that '88 was the odd-year out and doesn't have it (I can't tell definitively from this '88 Kat 600 Rear Shock Fiche )

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  I wouldn't be surprised if the rear shock assembly on an 18 year old bike has given up the ghost (most do in 5 to 8 years). Check to see if the preload is jacked up and the dampening is also, and if it is & is still soggy, then it's time to seek out a replacement.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  +1

Comment

Working...
                  X