• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
    kill this thread NOW!!!!!!
    Just for you Ed!
    R.I.P. Marc

Comment

10% Ethanol???

More & more stations around here have removed their "Up To 10% Ethanol" signs and have posted warnings of "10% Ethanol" instead.

I've heard ethanol generates less heat in combustion and my cage MPG is noticeably lower when I fuel at those stations. I remember it being a big deal in the automotive circles when it first started appearing with the Big 3 all issuing warnings about ethanol possibly eating seats and seals out of fuel systems.

Does anybody know if 10% Ethanol poses any problems for 98+ Kats or the new GSXFs???

Please advise.

THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by roosed View Post
        More & more stations around here have removed their "Up To 10% Ethanol" signs and have posted warnings of "10% Ethanol" instead.

I've heard ethanol generates less heat in combustion and my cage MPG is noticeably lower when I fuel at those stations. I remember it being a big deal in the automotive circles when it first started appearing with the Big 3 all issuing warnings about ethanol possibly eating seats and seals out of fuel systems.

Does anybody know if 10% Ethanol poses any problems for 98+ Kats or the new GSXFs???

Please advise.

THANKS!

I'm on the fence here. I know it can burn ethanot without issue (any gas motor can), my problem is that I don't know if 10% is enough to require rejetting. When you run on straight alcohol, you have to dump a LOT more fuel in as compared to running gas. I don't know if that 10% is enough of a difference to force you to rejet for it. And yes, alcohol can be bad for some seals....... but I can't think of any on the kat that I would feel funny about putting alcohol to.

I for one would love to convert a bike to run on strictly ethanol, except that it's not real easy to find it at the pump.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by fredcole View Post
          i run 110 turbo blue in my 600 kat
          LOL.. I done this a couple of times. MAN O MAN it smells good.

Love working at a airport.

Edit: an airport LOL
          Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM.
          sigpic
          Update Jul 11 2014
          Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

run 87

Comment

89 octane with 10% ethanol. The big scare when it first came out was if you started using ethanol on an older car, it would actually clean it out and knocking off the rust scales in the fuel lines. This led to the fear it ruined engines. Truth being it did hurt them by cleaning them. I usually only ethanol blend because it's cheaper by a few cents and I get decent mileage. (1997 grand am 2.4 with 218k miles engine still strong)
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

...and a 150 tire, since that's the next question
                ...and Mobil 1, since that's the question after that
                -
                -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Perfect Fit!

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
                  ...and a 150 tire, since that's the next question
                  ...and Mobil 1, since that's the question after that
                  AHHHHH, that explains the icon/avitar...perfect fit man!!!

Comment

I run unleaded.

Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I run 89 and good old canadian Gov. made it so they have to put up to 10% in!!!
                      Always remember to keep the rubber side down!

Comment

Definitely 87, sure.. some manuals for bikes and even cars say to use a higher grade fuel but I can't tell you how many articles on CNN or ConsumerReports.org say that it is a complete waste of money. Maybe I'd go higher up the scale if gas was still $.99 cents, til then, money in your pocket speaking, it defeats the purpose of riding your bike vs. a car!

Comment

This is the 650 forum, isn't it.... Why so many comments about what the Kat needs.... maybe the original question was for what gas the gsx650f was happiest with??... My manual for the 675 says 87, and it runs fine...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I,ve always ran 93. There's no doubt in my mind that 87 won't do though... But 93 isn't much more here so...

Comment

I run 93 also since it seems to be abit more smooth; but I think it's all in the mind, lol!
                              sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

I run the Hi test whatever that is.
                                93 I guess.Most expensive but whatever with the millage it's not a concern.
                                2000 Kat 600
                                2001 Dodge Dakota 287
                                sigpic
                                Originally posted by sportn1200
                                As my Moma always said that is why they make chocolate and vanillia peoples taste are different.

Comment

Working...
                                X