Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What do you guys think about this cam lobe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about this cam lobe?

Should this cam be replaced?

This is the intake lobe for cylinder #3.
    Attached Files

yeah, that is beyond shot. I just sold my last set of cams I have right now, sorry
    Last edited by arsenic; 01-12-2008, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
      yeah, that is beyond shot. I just sold my last set of cams I have right now, sorry
      Yes you sure did. They are beyond dead, but how did the rust get on those inside your engine????

Sorry for my s h i t t y english, but i'm danish.

My bike... http://kortlink.dk/4dsu
      sigpic

Comment

My guess is the rusting occurred when the PO let it sit for a year without starting it.

Unless I can find a set of cams for the 750 CHEAP, I may be parting the bike out soon. Not worth spending as much to get the bike running as I did for the bike itself.
        Last edited by wcj; 01-12-2008, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Well, got the cam out and it doesnt look so bad now.

This is the same lobe wiped off with a shop rag.
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't know dude. It's iffy, you could get away with using it, but I'd look to swap.

Comment

Well, I decided to put it back in and see what it looks like after 1000 miles.

Comment

Looking at that cam, from the experience I've been thru with my own. Thats not bad looking at all. You are only showing minor spots which arent a problem. I would put those back in the bike. Since you have pictures of what it looks like presently, in 7,500 miles, when you do the valve adjustment, compare then to now.

If you had scoring where the steels rolled on the lobe, then I would say its time to shop for new ones. Heres a pic from one I replaced in mine.
                If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

i would not run it, its right on the edge of where the lifter runs, its already week from the rust pitting it will only get worse

also why risk having a cam go flat and having all that metal go through your engine and causing more damage, possibly a new engine
                  Last edited by bluekat04; 01-13-2008, 07:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The pitting shown wasn't due to rust. Suzuki had an issue with certian pre 750 cams where the hardness flakes from the cam. It doesnt affect all cams and its impossible to know if yours has this without watching it. The hardened band didn't properly bond to the rough cast.

However since there is no scoring, The marks may have been there from day one. He can consider the cams to be OK for now. WJC knows to monitor it since he posted he will check it in another 1000 miles and should agian at the next valve adjust.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                      I don't know dude. It's iffy, you could get away with using it, but I'd look to swap.
                      The edges don't really matter -- it's only the center, although the edges do point this cam out as being one of the defective ones IMHO.

The minor pitting in the center is annoying and will probably spread (check the valve stems too), but not enough to keep you from riding it until you can get a replacement, again IMHO.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X