X

different sounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different sounds

hey all! i have a few questions regarding different sounds the bike should or should not make. i'm new to this so it all may be normal. I'll start of by letting you know that its an 01 600 and the only mods are a Yoshi pipe. o,k here it goes.

when taking off i notice that 1st and 2nd gear seem to make more of a popping noise when engaged as opposed to the other gears. is that normal? also, after getting on it a bit, when i let it coast with out giving it gas while still in gear the exhaust makes a rumbling type of noise kind of like a gargle. is that due to the after market pipe? i was also wondering if when idleling the engines sound should be like a rattle, it almost sounds like a desil. it continous on when riding up to about 2000 rpms then it sounds smooth. whats that about?
    thanks!

The best way is to find another Katana and compare...

The diesel noise could be a handful of different things, from poor oil to a defective cam chain tensioner spring, or the need for a valve adjustment.

The 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd gear switch sounds to me like you're not pulling in the clutch and letting off the gas before you actively snap the gears over. The bike wants it's upshifts as clean hard snaps with no engine loading when doing them.

Finally, the exhaust noises:
    Burbbling on deceleration is an indication that the idle circuit (controlled by the pilot screws on the carbs) is a bit too lean. Whether this is because your main jets are slightly clogged and need to be cleaned or just because the new muffler made the exhaust leaner (and you should increase the pilot screws by an 1/8th turn) is something I can't tell you. Cleaning the carbs or at least using some fuel system cleaner (like techron) should help you figure it out.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the info cyber. i'll try to pay more attention when shifting. this is my first time riding so chances are that your right about my shifting problem. as for the mechanical things. are these common issues that my local shop can detect? i bought the bike about 2 months ago, and i have no idea what the previous owner did as far as maintenence. i know it sat in his garage through the winter and most of last summer. i haven't done a thing to it but ride it, and after reading the importance of an oil change thread im scared to death that my bike is going to die. thats actually the reason for this post. what do you recomend i do?
      thanks!

Comment

If you can't find proof that the 600 mile service was done, have it done. That should eliminate pretty much all the potential problems except the fueling issue on deceleration, which you could in theory pay them to do also (I don't like having trained monkeys work on my bike if I don't have to).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

whats involved in the 600 mile service? i was an auto mechanic for a few years, and if it's something that i can handle i'd like to do it myself.
          thanks,

Comment

Get your hands on the factory service manual (98+ manual is online in the mechanic's forum in the stickies). If you are a trained auto mechanic, there is no reason you can't do it yourself.

Basically, the service consists of checking the valves (feeler gauges) and adjusting clearances as needed, changing the oil & filter, retorquing about 30 bolts to spec torque value (everything from exhaust headers to brake caliper bolts), sync the carbs, plus clean/lube/adjust the chain and a general safety inspection. All of it is outlined step-by-step in the factory service manual.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

excellent man i realy appreciate your help. wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
              X