Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How much more flow do bandit headers give?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much more flow do bandit headers give?

So while I have been waiting for my shite to get here I found some bandit headers for 99 bucks and I got them, for looks and hopefully to improve performance. My question is this......Do they improve flow enough to get rid of stock air box and go with pods,along with jet kit, aftermarket pipe? Or are they just a slight improvement over stock?

I thought I read that Bandit pipes were actually SMALLER diameter than Katana pipes ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      I thought I read that Bandit pipes were actually SMALLER diameter than Katana pipes ....
      +1
      In the 600 bandit... Since the bandit is optimized for low-end torque (different cam grinds), and narrower exhaust helps keep back-pressures up at lower RPM's (which increases low-RPM torque), they should actually be smaller than the OEM Kat 600 headers.

If you are thinking that you want the chrome/silver look, get your stock pipes ceramic coated (but first grind out the header weld seams in them -- that will net you about a 15% increase right there).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just got the headers in today. I measured the diameter of the pipes got 1" 1/2......kat header diameter 1"1/4... those were outside diameters. I will get inside diameters once I get the headers off the kat, probably this weekend. At a glance you can tell the bandit headers are bigger than the kats. They do look nice though, much better than my rusty kat ones lol. Anyway Ill update the diameters and hopefully get some pics up when I get them put on.

Comment

i put a kat750 header on my 600 & the flow is better but i was told by and engine builder that the aftermarket pipes are better ( at the union ) and that is what makes a world of difference.

tim

Comment

i was told by and engine builder that the aftermarket pipes are better ( at the union ) and that is what makes a world of difference.
            Ya I figured as much, they flow together instead of just all coming out at one spot. You guys know that little metal plate deal on the headers inside where the midpipe goes in, what purpose does that serve? I imagine it directs air but is it really needed?

but first grind out the header weld seams in them -- that will net you about a 15% increase right there

Cyber are you talking about the welds inside the pipes themselves at the end of the pipes?[/quote]

Comment

i was told by and engine builder that the aftermarket pipes are better ( at the union ) and that is what makes a world of difference.
              Originally posted by CoNViCT
              Ya I figured as much, they flow together instead of just all coming out at one spot. You guys know that little metal plate deal on the headers inside where the midpipe goes in, what purpose does that serve? I imagine it directs air but is it really needed?
              If you're talking about the metal around the interior walls of the collector, the one with the holes in it, it's there to pulse-tune some of the pressure wave coming down.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              but first grind out the header weld seams in them -- that will net you about a 15% increase right there
              Originally posted by CoNViCT
              Cyber are you talking about the welds inside the pipes themselves at the end of the pipes?
              If you look at the four pipes where they connect to the headers, you'll see a weld seam on the inside of each pipe, where the thick port section meets the actual tube going down. That's the seam I'm talking about...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

sweet, Ill get those welds off some night this week, I gotta get new gaskets for the headers before I can slap them on.

Comment

Working...
                X