X

Looking at new helmets...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scout View Post
    'I don't want a POS helmet. And I don't want to wait a month or two to have a cheap helmet shipped over, find out it's a cheap POS, and spend another couple months waiting for a good one to get shipped.
    well then you need to be ordering a shoei or an arai. those are about the only two brands I know of that even if it doesn't fit spot on perfect, it's still comfortable. any other brand you risk it turning out to be a POS. not necessarily because it is a crappy brand....but just due to the fact that a cheap helmet that fits poorly will seem like a real pos.

plus I guess I am just a bit biased. I think every helmet is a pos compared to shoei or arai. not that they are really pos's, but I have been spoiled by the other two brands. I kinda see it like having owned a cadillac and a bmw, then trying to find "satisfaction" in owning a KIA....it just ain't going to happen. lol

to be honest, I often bite my tongue when I see the helmets some people wear, under certain conditions. when I see some guy on a brand new, or relatively new bike, wearing full leathers and boots and gloves, then sporting a $150 helmet on his head, I just have to bite my lip from saying, "what's with the pos lid you cheap fuck"? if you are going to invest $10k+ in a new bike and all the gear, at least cough up $400-500 for a good helmet. the helmet is making you look like a tightass. lol
    Last edited by Mojoe; 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post

to be honest, I often bite my tongue when I see the helmets some people wear, under certain conditions. when I see some guy on a brand new, or relatively new bike, wearing full leathers and boots and gloves, then sporting a $150 helmet on his head, I just have to bite my lip from saying, "what's with the pos lid you cheap fuck"? if you are going to invest $10k+ in a new bike and all the gear, at least cough up $400-500 for a good helmet. the helmet is making you look like a tightass. lol
      I feel exactly the same way. When I sold my ZR1200 last spring in Odessa, Tx, I laid that fine, flawless Shoei in the back seat of my car and went on to my gig. That night a bandmate and I were at a stoplight in Odessa when a brand new Hayabusa pulled up on the passenger side. The bike looked like a sculpted vision, but the rider was wearing a blue Wal-Mart special helmet that looked like he'd bowled a few frames with.

I told my bandmate to ask him what size helmet he wore. "Extra large!
      Why??" (had to shout over traffic noise)

I handed my bandmate my Shoei to give to him. He was astonished and shouted, "For what?"

I yelled, "For you!" and the light changed.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

That was mighty cool of you, Dan.

anyway, even the cheap helmets are snell or dot approved, thus "safe", but I just find it mighty odd that some riders will invest so much money in leathers, aftermarket "bling bling" for their bike, and other stuff, then go bargain hunting for a cheap helmet. I personally have just always saw the helmet as the most important investment. not just for safety, but comfort as well. and just to let you know, I am not just talking out my ass because out of all my local riding buddies, I have tried at least 75% of their helmets. I ain't shy about asking them how they like it, and then ask them to swap for a bit so I can see for myself. then end result is usually me biting my lip from saying, "your helmet is crap". but then again, I never had to because they usually say, "wow, your shoei (or arai) is really comfortable. I think I will buy one next time". lol

my conclusion....pretty sure at least 80% of the riders wouldn't know a proper fitting, comfortable helmet if it jumped up and bit them in the ass. they look at it, like the looks of it...then try it on, and it fits "ok", so they buy it because the price is right at $200.
        Last edited by Mojoe; 12-31-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I absolutly agree with you guys on the spending 10-20k on a bike and then not being able to buy proper gear. I had a guy in the store the other day say he couldnt afford to buy heated gear. I asked him what kind of bike he had and he had just bought a 2013 goldwing 2 weeks before. See I ride a $1000 dollar bike and I have heated gear. I just have to laugh as there is no way to get through to most people. I always dread when I have to tell a woman that she is has a small sized head and she has been wearing the wrong sized helmet for the past 15 years.

Comment

I think it is mostly because people don't plan properly. they get it in their head that they want a new bike (or used), then they set a limit on what they can afford. then once they figure what they can afford, either paying cash, or financing, then they dump it all right into the bike. after that, they are too broke to afford the proper gear to go with it.

it's not rocket science. take whatever you can afford to spend, then deduct $1000 for gear. $500 for a helmet....$500 for a suit or jacket and pants. dumping it all into the bike, then settling for jeans and work boots and a $100 helmet on your head is just bad planning....and a bit foolish, imho.
            Last edited by Mojoe; 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffer949 View Post
              If your where your sig says you are I'd imagine that Shoei's and Arai's would be cheaper considering they are made in Japan. I dont believe that there isnt a store that doesnt carry them. Id look harder Im sure they are out there.
              Yes, I am in Okinawa. There are two places that have them. I went to them yesterday. They have both Shoei and Arai (locked in no access cases). And they average 55,000 yen (around $700 American) at one place, 59,000 yen at the other (Yen is currently at 82 to the dollar). They wouldn't let me try them on. I had to wear disposable cloth gloves to even touch them. They are very germophobic about things here. So...they can kiss my fat American ass. I'll purchase online, thanks. Shark it is, I guess.

Thanks again, everyone!!
              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
              Semper Fi

Comment

Here's the helmets I think I've come down to, as final choices. Shoei is off the table, due to Revzillas' policy of not shipping Shoeis outside the US (and all other companies I've found wont guarantee shipping times to Okinawa, or shipping here at all).

Anyway, here is the Shark Speed-R that I'm favoring:
                Shop Motorcycle Riding Gear today. RevZilla has the best selection of motorcycle gear online - Free Shipping, No Hassle Returns and the Lowest Prices - Guaranteed

Here is the AGV Shade I'm considering:
                Shop Motorcycle Riding Gear today. RevZilla has the best selection of motorcycle gear online - Free Shipping, No Hassle Returns and the Lowest Prices - Guaranteed

Here is the AGV Horizon that I like:

I like the Horizon better, of the AGVs.

Thoughts??
                ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                Semper Fi

Comment

I'm all in with the Horizon........
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                    I'm all in with the Horizon........
                    I do like that helmet a lot. That's the kind of bucket I guess I could stand to have on, if I -have- to wear one.
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

"He who hesitates is lost"...... pull the trigger.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Love your thought process, bro. I'm getting my helmet in a month. Gotta get a new jacket and gloves, first. It gets way to hot/humid here, to be wearing my Handriods every day. They'll never dry out. I've had to put them on a rack in the dryer for 10 minute intervals a day after wearing them, so lighter gloves are in order, to alternate. And my jacket has about run it's course. Been wearing it for 5.5 years. Zipper is loose, armor plates are starting to get sloppy etc. Looking at an Icon Compound jacket.

I think the Horizon is gonna be my choice for a lid. Been intruiged by AVG since I watched Rossi race 2 years ago, anyway. Though, I saw a MotoGP racer (Spies I think, or Hayden maybe) wearing Shark, hence my interest in those.

But, with the proven record of AVG (and the badassery of the look of the Horizon) I think I'm sold on it.
                        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                        Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                        X