X

breaking in a new helmet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thetable View Post
    I guess I'm not alone in thinking that if you need to break in a helmet, you're wearing the wrong size/shape.
    you got it or a poor quility one

It's not like a pair of boots or hockey skates that may start hurting 5-10 minutes after wearing it. A boot needs to stretch and shape the shell to you foot size and shape, walking style etc

A helmet is a solid shell with HD foam with a LD foam liner... nothing to break in, the HD foam will not bend or shape , the LD memory foam will always go back to its original shape and not comform to your head shape and stay that way....
    Find a comfortable helmet and wear it...thats it.
    there is nothing you can do to break in a helmet other then wear it like you normally would.
    Once the liner had softened up a bit it may be a lil more comfortal but thats normal wear not breaking it in.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

My scorpion liner "breaks in" after two good days of riding....fits perfectly after that. Before that, it puts pressure on my forehead. Afterward, zero.

If it didn't change, I would have sold the helmet three days after I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
        you got it or a poor quility one

It's not like a pair of boots or hockey skates that may start hurting 5-10 minutes after wearing it. A boot needs to stretch and shape the shell to you foot size and shape, walking style etc

A helmet is a solid shell with HD foam with a LD foam liner... nothing to break in, the HD foam will not bend or shape , the LD memory foam will always go back to its original shape and not comform to your head shape and stay that way....
        Find a comfortable helmet and wear it...thats it.
        there is nothing you can do to break in a helmet other then wear it like you normally would.
        Once the liner had softened up a bit it may be a lil more comfortal but thats normal wear not breaking it in.
        Just bake the skates. LOL. 5 minutes of your time and no pain. If only a helmet came like that so that one could bake the foam, slide it on, and have it hardened to the shape of the riders head.

Typically though with helmets most people simply need the foam to soften up a bit and then it is comfortable. otherwise the harder foam creates pressure points. I must have a common sized head (thats what she said much to my disdane) as most lids I put on fit like a glove though I DO try most on before hand to make sure.
        I am a Penn State fanatic.
        Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

The best way to break in skates is fill them with hot water just before you go on the ice, put them on and skate with them.
          Heat forming is great, and most sports stores do this but you cant fully break them in sitting in a chair or standing on them either... you have to use them. The hot water will make the formed liner soft and slowly cools down as you use them.

WHen it comest to helmets...you put it on and go.

The cloth needs to stretch, foam softens etc but that comes from normal use. I pre wash all my liners before I wear them. who knows who had had their greasy head in there before me.... Ive never had any issues.
          On the otherahnd I have worn and tried on so many helmets I can tell in a minute if the helmet will have any pressure points that will annoy me later on.
          Most people put on a helmet, wiggle it around, shake their head and then decide if they like it or not. Thats not how you fit a helmet
          Last edited by hardlydangerous; 03-28-2011, 02:04 PM.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
            Quickest way... smash it on a rock. Only way it will truly break in lol.
            lol lol Yeah! Break it! Smash it Beavis!!
            'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
            ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
            ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

I would think your rinks up in Canada woudl have the ability to bake the skates rinkside like we have down here in many rinks. Being a goalie is a bit of a hassle for some I guess but I dont use toe ties so just a boot strap and they are on.
              I am a Penn State fanatic.
              Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

yeah I lot of them do....

I play forward and Goalie however I dont wear goalie skates... I have a bad ankle and cant. I use a regular Bauer size 10 hockey skate with a lowheight size 11 blade holder and size 12 blade profiled flat. Danny's in fort erie did the work.
                a skate mate ankle guard protects the feet.

I have a toe strap. its not the best set up but I can tighten and tape the ankles for the support I need. its a little tall but Im usually scrambling around on my knees anyway so for the past 4 years its worked great.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  I guess I'm not alone in thinking that if you need to break in a helmet, you're wearing the wrong size/shape.
                  much agreed.
                  i love the feeling of a brand new lid! mine pack-out within a season.
                  the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                  # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                  [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
                    wear it while playing motorcycle video games
                    This is what I did
                    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                    sigpic

Comment

This is becoming am interesting thread .I should have warmed my skates before ....cant feel my toes after an hour of skating ...As for the helmet .I have a HUGE head .I have great balance because it was this size when i was 2 .I spent the rest of my life growing into my melon .I wear a XL helmets they fit different between manufacturers .Find a comfort zone and a comfortable helmet and dont stress the breaking in ...If its too tight its not good ,This is about your comfort .Try a few out and find the best feel and fit .Let the salespersons lie to you and then compair the lies and make a fully Uneducated decision based on half truths and sales techniques
                      I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

I can't believe you guys. Nobody's mentioned the fish oil method!

You rub some sardines around inside your new helmet, put it on and wear it until you don't notice the smell anymore. Once that happens your helmet is broken in. :thumbsup:
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          I can't believe you guys. Nobody's mentioned the fish oil method!

You rub some sardines around inside your new helmet, put it on and wear it until you don't notice the smell anymore. Once that happens your helmet is broken in. :thumbsup:
                          Your not suggesting Sardines are you?
                          Everyone knows sardines stinks when its out of the can .....you mean to say Fresh Atlantic pink salmon oil is the only way you can get a lubed helmet and can enjoy it on your Kat stink free :O

Go for the Pink
                          Last edited by Irish; 03-28-2011, 10:40 PM. Reason: cause im an a$$
                          I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Originally posted by Irish View Post
                            Your not suggesting Sardines are you?
                            Everyone knows sardines stinks when its out of the can .....you mean to say Fresh Atlantic pink salmon oil is the only way you can get a lubed helmet and can enjoy it on your Kat stink free :O

Go for the Pink
                            -Giaco
                            '81 CM400C,
                            '99 GSXF 750

Comment

Everyone's thinking it, might as well say it...

can o' tuna joke in

three...

two...
                              The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

Working...
                              X