X

Personalized Lights/Cluster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personalized Lights/Cluster

So I've been doing a bunch of mods to my bike and I thought I'd share. The whole purpose of doing some electrical mods was to personalize my bike, but above all try to increase my visibility/warnings for myself (indicator lights) and others (brighter turn signals) on the road.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) Personalized gauge cluster with with LED conversion
    2) Painted needles to match the theme of my bike (red & black with a bit of white)
    3) LED Flasher (cause the incorrect flash time makes any bike look silly)
    4) LED front turn signal bulbs
    5) Halogen rear turn signal bulbs (turn indicators are from Fender Werks Eliminator Kit)
    6) Integrated rear tail light

I'm not sure yet if I actually like how bright the LED conversion front turn signal bulbs are... but I'm leaving them in for now (1156 15 LED).

Here are the pics I've taken so far. A few more to come once my needles dry.

I left this needle white.. you'll see why in about 10 minutes when I get more photos up of my "lit" gauge cluster.

Have since put a second coat on this needle. Looks a lot better than this pic... damn these needles are hard to cover with paint... it just doesn't like to take...

Here are the rest of the pics. I'm sure you guys will appreciate them as much as I do. I think it's a HUGE upgrade from the white needles considering I've got "Cool White" LEDs to light up the TACH and SPEEDO.

IF you do end up trying to paint your needles and you make a mistake... DO NOT try to wipe the face of any of the gauges with your finger... I tried that and left myself a nice little white mark from my finger nail on my gauge face. Use a small piece of paper towel instead, rolled up as if you were going to stick it in your nose for a nosebleed (same conical shaped principal is what I used).

Here are the final pics (note... the clock and fuel gauge don't look nearly as orange as they show. They look almost exactly like the colour my bike is).

Little bit fuzzy... but you get the point.

This is the best pic by far, but I had the flash on so you can't see my clock and fuel gauge as well as you should be able to
    Last edited by Aaron-71; 07-14-2012, 05:10 PM. Reason: added pics
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

would love to see pics!!!

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Pics have been uploaded.

All I did to paint the needles was go to the closest Dollarma/Dollar Store and buy a small children's painting set for some ceramic stuff. Threw away everything but the brush and paints (total cost of $2).

Did a thin coat without pressing too much every 20 minutes... 3 coats in total and then a 4th on the tach cause I touched it and took some paint off (the paint doesn't take too well because it's cheap and the needles are super plasticy/smooth).

If anyone needs pics of the paint set I got, I can take some or do a better write-up... but it's REALLY REALLY simple.

And for those of you who kept b****ing about taking your gauge cluster apart & checking for polarity... it's not actually that hard/bad... you just gotta remember to do it haha.

Originally posted by scheib View Post
        Nice work!
        Thanks! Check out the added pics if you liked what I did before. I think it adds to the cluster personally. AND it matches my colour scheme of my bike.
        Last edited by Aaron-71; 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        - Aaron

Comment

Nice work, the integrated tail with signals should give you more visibility when changing lanes and such.
          Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
            Nice work, the integrated tail with signals should give you more visibility when changing lanes and such.
            Thanks. That's exactly what I'm shooting for.

An integrated turn signal LED AND a halogen turn indicator SHOULD help me get the visibility I need.

Now I just have to use them when I switch lanes and allow time for others to see them :P
            - Aaron

Comment

Look really good. Hint Q-tip twirled would do the same as towel with more stability
              Ride like it's your last ride
              sigpic

Comment

I think testors model paint will work as well.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  I think testors model paint will work as well.
                  I agree. Model paint flows really well on any plastics.

I actually ended up scraping off that red paint that I used just recently. Bought a $10 worth of actual needle-gauge paint on eBay with nice fluorescent orange, red and white.

The original paint I put on came off REAL easy... it wasn't on there very well at all... but it was only $2 paint...

I guess I should post up a new pic of my cluster!

Those LED's I put in my cluster are still very bright. It's always nice to know when you're actually in Neutral
                  - Aaron

Comment

Yip, and be able to see it in the day time.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                    X