X

Is this a Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
    I wouldn't doubt the frames are the same, after all the seventies gave us the UJM.
    In 84 (when that photo was taken) Cooley was on "special" contract with Yoshi.
    So that might be a GS 750 with some GSX bodywork.
    actually, when wes started racing, there was no "bodywork" to add to his bike. In 1981, the full fairings you saw on his gs1000r were custom made for him. Suzuki didn't start producing the full fairings until 84.

btw....I love it when I see you guys drooling over the old kats. Just makes me feel that much prouder of mine. except for the forks and front wheel, it is 100% stock....and mint. It's an 83, but the front wheel and forks are from an 82. I have the right forks and wheel to put it back stock. The stock fork tubes on the 83 were black. I just have to get around to making the swap.

Last edited by Mojoe; 03-12-2009, 01:47 PM.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Stock 750ESD

Here's a picture of an '83 750 ESD. Half fairing. Available in White and Red or White and Blue. The 750E had a handlebar mounted fairing. This was one of Suzuki's first street bikes with single shock and 16" front wheels.

Comment

yeah i was gonna say it looks a heck of a lot like my dads 83 gs750es but it looks like thats been covered

Comment

Originally posted by SHARKBOY521 View Post
          And after looking around for a little while, it appears to me that the frames are almost identical between the GS the early Katanas... is that true?
          The original Kat 1100 is nothing but a styling exercise. Under the body work is the same frame and 16 valve 1100 motor as in the previous non-Kat GSs.

Styling by Target Design in germany.

Comment

Originally posted by SHARKBOY521 View Post
            Anyone have pics of the race bikes like the one I posted?
            Summit Point 1983

Loudon 1983

Comment

Attached Files
              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                actually, when wes started racing, there was no "bodywork" to add to his bike. In 1981, the full fairings you saw on his gs1000r were custom made for him. Suzuki didn't start producing the full fairings until 84.

btw....I love it when I see you guys drooling over the old kats. Just makes me feel that much prouder of mine. except for the forks and front wheel, it is 100% stock....and mint. It's an 83, but the front wheel and forks are from an 82. I have the right forks and wheel to put it back stock. The stock fork tubes on the 83 were black. I just have to get around to making the swap.

mojoe that is sweet
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by enzo_f1 View Post
                  Summit Point 1983
                  Turn 5???
                  Although I'm not sure what photographer in is right mind would stand there.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                      Turn 5???
                      Although I'm not sure what photographer in is right mind would stand there.
                      Turn 5 it is! I haven't been there since the 80s but it was a great track back then. I'm starting the circuts again. This time with my two sons.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                        The picture you posted of Wes Cooley is an 83 GS750ES. Ray.
                        That is exactly what I was thinking! I had one for a while 5 years ago. A killer bike!

gsx750es
                        Last edited by zuma; 11-05-2009, 11:52 PM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

It's been a few years for me too. They just repaved a couple years ago, and within 6 months all the asphalt started separating from the concrete pads. It made turns 1, 5, and 6 really interesting. But just after they finished paving it, it was stupid fasts. I was talking to riders who dropped 5-6 seconds with the fresh pavement. Bill has since repaved it again, and it looks like it is holding up much better.

Let me know if your going to be running at Slummit, I live half an hour away, and work 15 minutes away.

I gotta make it out there on the bike someday.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

that is a gsx750esd or a gsx1100esd not a katana

Comment

Originally posted by mkkat View Post
                              The original Kat 1100 is nothing but a styling exercise. Under the body work is the same frame and 16 valve 1100 motor as in the previous non-Kat GSs.

Styling by Target Design in germany.
                              Not true. Kat frames differ from the GS 1100E's in the rear passenger peg mount. The Kat frames are integrated, while the GS 1100E's are bolt on aluiminum plates. Also, slight differences in rake/trail, but that could be due to the forks, which were different as well.

The motor, for 1982, was downsized to 1000 cc (actually, 998) to meet superbike regulations and carried different carbs. Not too clear on the differences between carbs, but I know that the 1000SZ Katana carbs were different than the 1100SD Katana carbs.

Comment

No the Kat frames and the GS frames aren't the same,although their are similarities when you look at them.Suzuki are great at interchanging and recycling parts between different models. The original Katana's model names are GSX750S- GSX1000S- GSX1100S.....
                                These original Katana's were designed by a German named Hans Muth who worked for a company called Target design.. Even by todays standards they are still great bikes,and they were the starting point for the look of the sports bikes we have today.If you doubt their ability to draw a crowd,park one between some modern day sports bikes and see what bike draws the biggest crowd......cheers Red in OZ... PS- Death to the Katana 50's,what were they thinking when they used the mighty Katana name on a scooter.Hope who ever was responsible got ran out of Japan

Comment

Working...
                                X