No announcement yet.
X

Restore or Modify?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given it's a 1000, I would change my vote to restore, but pose the foloowing questions.

What do you intend to do with it? Keep it, sell it
    If you're selling it, what would you hope it would bring?
    Are you prepared to do a FULL restoration detailing every last part?

THe reason I ask is, kat parts are getting scarce and NOS parts even harder to come by. This means everything you restore needs to basically get refinished in it's entirety if you want a high dollar bike for resale. Even period upgrade parts are hard to come by...as an example, I've only seen two calfab swingarms for sale in the last 5 years.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but just reinforcing the fact that I've seen alot of "nice" kats for sale in the past ten years that typically bring $3-5K for a sale price. Since you have a 1000 which is more unique/rare use that to your advantage and really do a perfect ground up if selling is your intent.

Best of luck with the project and keep us all informed with details/photos of your progress!

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
      Hmmm - that's a lot of votes for restore

I've pretty much decided against modern forks/swingarm/wheels etc. From the little research Ive done it looks like you need to lop off the rear frame extensions (that the pegs mount to) in order to achieve that look and I'd prefer not to modify the frame in any way.

I'm leaning towards a stock style restore with some minor bolt-on 'period' modifications (CR's, braided lines, oil cooler etc.) i.e. the kind of stuff someone might have done to the bike when it was new, and also the kind of stuff that can easily be reversed.
      The restoration is like putting a model together. You can do some work then walk away and come back later. That bike will make you proud to ride it when it's done. No one else around you has one.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
        What do you intend to do with it? Keep it, sell it
        If you're selling it, what would you hope it would bring?
        Are you prepared to do a FULL restoration detailing every last part?
        No plans to sell it.

I know what's involved (cost and work) in a full 'bare frame' restoration and the Kat will definitely get the same;

Before;

After;

Before;

After;

In lots of ways a 'correct' restoration is harder and more expensive than a 'restification'. As many people have pointed out, finding the correct parts is part of the battle and it's much easier to find an aftermarket 4-1 than a correct exhaust (for example). My plans are to take the bike completely to the frame and build back up from there, replacing what can't be restored, and restoring what can. Fortunately parts like bodywork are not too much of a problem, and I already have a good number of the items I need on their way to me.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll definitely take plenty of progress photos as the work begins.
        1981 CB900F (silver)
        1982 CB900F (blue)
        1982 GS1000SZ Katana (silver)
        1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Yep - it's a 1000 so I'm glad you've elected to restore it ... especially if the pics you've just posted are examples of your other work. Having said that, a restored GS1000 Kat sporting Ohlins shocks would just rock! (no pun intended!)

Comment

good choice. bolt on upgrades will keep the value of the bike. it isn't the most rideable classic, so the modern upgrades will make daily life easier. lighten the weight anywhere you can. i'm a skinny rider, and can't lean the thing at all going high speed.

lastly, you might consider having the frame geometry copied with wider extensions, and keep the original frame in storage. then you can roll on wider tyres.

Comment

Depends on how long you plan on holding on to it, and if you want to get a pile of money out of it someday. If you plan on just riding it after you fix it- I say mod it. If you plan on hanging on to it for about 10 years of good riding, then sell it for a pile of cash, I say, 110% restoreification.

The vintage bike boom is on, and values are increasing very, very fast, we are on the leading edge of the same wave that saw musclecar prices skyrocket, and we are seeing "survivor" examples of Z1 Kawis go for over 20k dollars and headed overseas- the first gen Katana will eventually fetch the same price I am betting.

Comment

I'm restoring and modding mine, but its only a 96 600 .

Poor thing needs some lovin .

Comment

The poor thing needs LOTS of work;

But she started up with just a set of plugs, fresh oil and some replacement carbs ;

1981 CB900F (silver)
                  1982 CB900F (blue)
                  1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Don't just "MOD" it ..... every so often in a man's life there comes that one special thing that makes it all worth it. You, my friend, have that special thing. You must keep it, treasure it, nurture it, and ........

....... BEAST THE F*** OUT OF IT .....

When your done with it, it should be a "weapon of choice" not for the faint of heart but for the traffic artist and the enthusiast that is able to create a bridge from the seat to the handlebars and complete the circuit enabling maximum operating efficiency.
                    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

sounds beastly, looking forward to restored pictures of it!

Comment

This is one even us Mad Modders would like to see restored!
                        By the way the CB looks freakin awesome also!
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Slowly gathering parts;

240KPH cluster.

Coerce carbon/honeycomb fork brace;

Gathered all the body parts (everything on the bike was toast)

1981 CB900F (silver)
                          1982 CB900F (blue)
                          1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Finally have all the bodywork ready to go

1981 CB900F (silver)
                            1982 CB900F (blue)
                            1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished machine!
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
                                I agree with the group that says MOD IT!
                                Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                                MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X