Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question to an employed motorcycle tech.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate all the comments, this was one of a few options I have so the advice is helpful. Most likely gonna steer away from it lol y'all bring up great points

Comment

I Strongly, strongly agree with WildBill.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      And also, this whole thing about "MMI certifies you". So does having the job and taking the certification tests. How do I know? Because I'm Suzuki certified, and I didn't go to MMI.
      I at no point said that was the only way. Congrats on your cert though. If you read a little more, I described how DEALERSHIPS, those CORPORATE biggies, PREFER you be certified before they will really look at you. Therefore advising that may not be the "starting point" to look for.

Originally posted by garbagekid View Post
      he went to a school down in daytona not sure the name.
      That is Wyotech. If he'd have went to MMI, 45 miles away, he'd have left with $1000 Snap-On voucher, plus had a >=50% discount while being a student there. Tools probably wouldnt have been an issue.
      Last edited by Trip; 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Well, that is very possible. Now multiply that by 50 and you have a mechanic. It takes a WHOLE lot more hands on knowledge to be a tech than it does to be an accountant.
        Obviously you don't know much about accounting either.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Nope, never done it

Comment

Don't hack on accountants. Accounting II is the class that cost me my 4.0 GPA.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I apologize to all accountants.

Comment

...and I'm glad I'm not one of them!
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Just tossing this in: If your mechanical, quit playing with toys and learn heavy equipment. HET's up here in the oilsands can pull down $250,000 once they become journeymen. And they are ALWAYS hiring.
                  1990 GSXF 1100
                  2011 KLR 650

Comment

Originally posted by KatKrak View Post
                    And they are ALWAYS hiring.

Job security is a nice thing.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I was listening to a broadcast where they were talking that the petroleum industry is facing a severe manpower shortage due to a rash of retirements that will total to almost 30,000 jobs in the next 3 - 4 years. They are willing to hire and train high school graduates who have no expirience and start them at $55,000 a year.

Comment

MMI cert means nothing to most dealerships as far as being certified . You still need a min 3 year apprenticeship training with a specific dealership to be a certified mech. Some places require the schooling first so you have some basic skills but many dont.
                        I had my apprenticeship with Yamaha and Arctic Cat. (actric cat =Suzuki/kawasaki). Also licenced tech with Stihl Echo and Poulan. I did a year apprenticeship with A&A auto restoration as well as 1 year working for MBRP building custom race/performance exhausts.
                        Even with all that I still could not get hired by local dealerships in the region. So I opened my own shop/retail store. I finally closed it a year and half ago and just run the shop from my garage at home now.

Looking back I would never work for a dealership again.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by expvet View Post
                          I was listening to a broadcast where they were talking that the petroleum industry is facing a severe manpower shortage due to a rash of retirements that will total to almost 30,000 jobs in the next 3 - 4 years. They are willing to hire and train high school graduates who have no expirience and start them at $55,000 a year.
                          Petroleum industry eh? I'm intrigued...

Originally posted by KatKrak View Post
                          Just tossing this in: If your mechanical, quit playing with toys and learn heavy equipment. HET's up here in the oilsands can pull down $250,000 once they become journeymen. And they are ALWAYS hiring.
                          HET?
                          Last edited by ShadowFetus; 05-13-2012, 01:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Check out this link and it will give you the info and the broadcast concerning the hirings and pay.

The oil industry can't find enough new workers to replace an aging workforce. Recruiters are busy finding a new generation of workers and training programs have sprung up to prepare them. Some young people are signing on for jobs that promise good pay — but there are still a lot of positions to fill.

Comment

Working...
                            X