Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question to an employed motorcycle tech.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to an employed motorcycle tech.

Due to a couple things I've been re thinking what career path Im gonna go down. I've really enjoyed working on my bike, and since my closest friends are literally all techs at different dealerships I've been able to do a lot of hands on stuff and I enjoy that kind of stuff. So my question is how did you start out? Looking at schools but I can't really find one other than mmi that offers a motorcycle mechanics course, and sadly going to AZ for mmi is out of the question. I know a lot of places have you work your way up(starting as a porter or something), but would like to see if anyone has advice and/or an opinion on this. Thanks!

Don't work on bikes for a living but I was able to turn this up: http://www.technical-schools-guide.c...r-schools.html
    Last edited by Wild-Bill; 05-11-2012, 09:47 PM.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Also not employed, but I did attend MMI Orlando up until I found out my fiance is pregnant. (I'll be going back in the next year or so to finish) Can I ask why MMI, AZ isn't an option? If it's financial reasoning, I could probably share a few things that you didn't know, that might make that a more considerable option. MMI has one of the best relationships with your 4 metric brands and CAN certify you in each (which IS needed for ANY warranty work). I do not believe any of your online courses could do this, and even some technical institutes can't. They may be able to certify you as a tech, but unless you've got that brand seal, no warranty work. And most dealerships prefer you have that ability, before starting. Otherwise, if you know your basics, and are okay with sweeping floors, oil & tire changes, etc, for a good while, some smaller non corporate shops may consider taking you on. This was my case in Daytona at a local Suzuki shop. I showed motivation and found the right people to talk to. But then as I said... pregnancy.. so I let that opportunity pass by and moved back home near family.

Hope something I said helps your thoughts, if not I'll backspace this load and leave room for other input. Feel free to PM me with any questions regarding my institute, you'd probably be surprised at what they offer with as little as 48 week graduation... Here's one... nearly 50% discount on Snap-On tools. NO ONE else gets that!

Comment

Words from a true believer, those...

There's some that think MMI is a junk diploma mill. Obviously Trip doesn't think so. I'd hazard a guess that MMI is like most schools; you can graduate by doing the absolute minimum but if you're motivated you can get a terrific education. An example of this is the Arkansas public school system. They're ranked 48th in the nation but a friend's daughter got offered a full-ride scholarship to Stanford and got accepted to St. Mary's in Scotland after graduating from a public HS in AR.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I'm one that thinks MMI is a complete waste of anything good. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are a bad school. Here's my issue with MMI. I think if you are mechanical to begin with, and you go there. You can get a good education and learn the basics behind the way things work. Being a technician is a very hands on learning process. When kids graduate MMI they think they know everything and are gods gift to technicians. Simple fact, YOU SUCK. Until you have a few years under your belt, you don't know chit, period. Knowledge comes from experience and guess what you don't get from books. So, MMI can give you general knowledge of theory, but until you actually do something a few dozens times, you're not good at anything. And also, this whole thing about "MMI certifies you". So does having the job and taking the certification tests. How do I know? Because I'm Suzuki certified, and I didn't go to MMI.
          Last edited by arsenic; 05-11-2012, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            You can get a good education and learn the basics behind the way things work. Being a technician is a very hands on learning process. When kids graduate MMI they think they know everything and are gods gift to technicians. Simple fact, YOU SUCK. Until you have a few years under your belt, you don't know chit, period. Knowledge comes from experience and guess what you don't get from books. So, MMI can give you general knowledge of theory, but until you actually do something a few dozens times, you're not good at anything.
            I think that is how any education is..
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Well, that is very possible. Now multiply that by 50 and you have a mechanic. It takes a WHOLE lot more hands on knowledge to be a tech than it does to be an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                Don't work on bikes for a living but I was able to turn this up: http://www.technical-schools-guide.c...r-schools.html
                Thanks, checking out Lincoln and ati funny nothing pops up for my specific zip lol

Originally posted by Trip View Post

Hope something I said helps your thoughts, if not I'll backspace this load and leave room for other input. Feel free to PM me with any questions regarding my institute, you'd probably be surprised at what they offer with as little as 48 week graduation... Here's one... nearly 50% discount on Snap-On tools. NO ONE else gets that!

Indeed I'll prolly Pm for more info, but yeah financially I don't see myself being able to do it. I'm 21 and wife is 20 so we don't have a whole lot of savings lol
                Last edited by ShadowFetus; 05-12-2012, 01:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

idk man the pay rate from what i hear is chit. it's like 12 bucks an hour and you have to buy tools, that's like 10% of your pay which already aint much. spend all your time workin on bikes instead of riding em. at least that's what i see and hear from my friend who became a mech, he went to a school down in daytona not sure the name.

the last time i asked him to go out for a ride he told me he didn't wanna use up his tires because they were pretty bald and he wanted to do a track day next year on brand new rubber. no riding for a year because he's too cheap to buy tires. and he lives at home with mom. yea also this is ny the king of all expenses. i need to ride everyday i can't put her away for a year, haven't called him since

Comment

if you wanna wrench for a living high performance cars is where the money is
                    never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                    Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                    confused katana build

Comment

my neighbor is a certified kawasaki tech and he hates it . he works 6 days a week . he makes ok money but not for the time he puts in . im a phone guy/ there aint much poke there either
                      im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

I hate being a Kawasaki tech too.

Comment

Working on your bike is fun because you can take your time and do as perfect a job as you want to, and there is a lot of satisfaction in that. When you work at a dealership you have to work quickly which means you won't always get that sense of accomplishment. But more important, have you looked at the average salaries? I took a quick search and $15.00 an hour and annually $30,000 to $34,000 was the average, but that is probably with years of expirience and at a good shop. What about benefits (dental, medical for you and eventual family)? Quiet possibly none. Being a bike mechanic is hard work with so so pay, do you see yourself doing it a 40 years old?

Comment

i myself looked into that field years ago after seeing those tv commercials on mmi for a bike tech. at that time i was taking a vocational class at my HS then onto college for auto mechanics. I understood the concept and principals of how things work and was decent at fixing things, but realized that there wasnt a lot of money there, especially as a bike tech. (i worked at a kaw dealership in NC) as a parts guy. the techs didnt make much $$$. so far in my life as a parts guy i found that i was making more $$ than the techs, i truly love what i do and am able to provide for my fam and still in the environment of fixing things. i did work at the parts stores..advance, auto zone, o'reillys, carquest ect but found that dealerships and fleet shops (heavy truck) paid A LOT better.

Comment

Originally posted by garbagekid View Post
                              because he's too cheap to buy tires.
                              Some of us work 60 hrs a week to pay for things we seldom get to use.

And FTR, a set of track worthy tires can cost as much as your bike is worth, so I'd stop judging
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X