X

First bike build project '93 GSX600F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bike build project '93 GSX600F

Hey everyone, I'm buying my first bike tomorrow, a 1993 Katana 600. I thought I would start a build thread to keep track of my progress, and to share my experience with the community.

The bike is currently about 50% disassembled, with a blown engine (spun bearing). The seller bought it with assembled, but with a bad engine, then lost interest and decided to sell the bike. I'm taking it home for $300, and will post pics of it in all of it's disassembled glory when I get her in the garage tomorrow or the day after.

Plans/budget for the bike are as follows

Buy new engine $500
    Fork seals- $30
    Carb cleaner-$10
    Plastidip-$50
    Chain-$80
    Battery-$45
    Windscreen-$30
    Fuel line-$10
    Spray paint-$10
    Plastic polish-$5
    Bondo lower fairing-$0
    Misc cleaning stuff-$20

Total-$790+$300 for bike=$1090

Sell parts engine for $150= $940

Reassemble engine and sell
    Strip down to frame
    Clean frame and get rid of surface rust
    Prime and paint frame
    Replace fork seals
    Clean and degrease misc parts
    Touch up paint various covers etc
    Buy new engine
    Clean carbs
    Get bike running
    Polish headlight
    Bondo repair lower fairing
    Paint/Plastidip plastics
    Sync/tune carbs

I'm open to any and all suggestions on parts to purchase, maintenance to be done, stores to check out, and color schemes for the bike.
    1993 GSX600F-[/B]04 Gsx750f engine swap. A work in progress
    2003 20th Anniversary edition VW GTI-6spd, forged internals, Precision 5558 450whp/400ftlb and counting
    2002 VW Jetta-Wifeys car. Stock for now

Wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild the carbs instead of just clean them. Check out carbs 101 in the wiki for a detailed how-to.
    Flush the brake fluid and think about replacing the lines - supposed to be done every 4 years.
    Grease all bearings and pivot points (wheel bearings, steering stem, shock pivot points, lever pivot points, clutch worm gear etc)
    Valve adjustment
    Oil/filter change
    How old are the tires? Even if they have meat left on them, if they're old, they get hard and lose traction. More than 5 years old and you might want for think about replacing them.
    Spark plugs/air filter? Depends on condition of current ones.
    Clean electrical connections and put some dielectric grease on them to prevent corrosion.

Something to think about if you need a new engine anyways - 600 and 750 engines generally sell for about the same amount, and a 750 drops straight into the 600 frame. You'd need carbs off a 750 to go with it, but you would likely be able to sell your 600 ones for about what you pay for the 750s.

Good luck!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

7-19-14
      So I got the bike home and in the garage yesterday. Didn't have time to get anything done before work, other than break the key off in the gas tank. Picked up some cleaning and painting supplies on the way to work too.

Hauling it home

7-20-14
      Today I got started with the cleaning process.

Began taking the remaining plastics off as well as the rear seat, then cleaned most of the dirt/grime/caked on oil off the frame. Surface rust was actually much better than I remembered seeing initially, so that's good. The only bad part is the battery cage, which I scrubbed with baking soda to neutralize battery acid. I will be picking up some rust reformer spray and the bad (really not bad at all) parts with that, then respraying the frame in the next few days hopefully.

Also got a couple of the smaller parts sanded, primed, and painted.

Not bad for the hour and a half of free time I had if ya ask me

7-21-14
      Started thinking about what color/colors I want to paint the bike. I will most likely be plastidipping because I'm not a professional painter and this stuff is more forgiving than paint.

Will be using this:http://m.harborfreight.com/electric-...not%20provided

And spraying this color: http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?i...category_id=12
      Also working in some silver accents on the forks fairings and various other pieces.
      Should look pretty badass
      Last edited by Poody; 08-13-2014, 06:32 AM. Reason: Added pics
      2003 20th Anniversary edition VW GTI-6spd, forged internals, Precision 5558 450whp/400ftlb and counting

Comment

Good luck with the build hope it all goes well
        If the budget allows think about fitting new bearing its a 20 odd year old bike some may have been replace in that time but worth checking

Joined the site earlier this year myself and started my own project all be it not going to be standard refit

Lots of useful info here and helpful folks too

Comment

So today I realized that I didn't grab the exhaust pipes from the seller... My bad, trying to get in contact with him right now to see if I can pick that up.
          Last edited by Poody; 07-25-2014, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Looking at this engine, not sure if it's worth the price/risk. I have a budget of $500 set for an engine, somebody steer me in the right direction please?
            Don't want to end up with 2 engines that don't run...

Pulled an all nighter last night to get work done on the Kat. Finished removing the last bolts from the suspension, stripped a couple with 12 point sockets, will only be using 6 points from here on out. Anyways, got most of the suspension parts clea ed, prepped and painted last night, as well as the frame. After I get replacement nuts for the few I managed to round off I'll start putting her back together with fresh grease packed in all the bearings.

Before

After

For my own reference, here's an updated to do/buy list:
            Buy-Metal chain guard, the metal frame covers that on top of the rear fairings, handle bar sliders, suspension nuts, mintiest engine that can be bad for under $500, make copy of broken key, new chain and sprockets, new gas tank cap

Do- Reassemble suspension, strip and paint rear caliper arm/bracket, get rear caliper unstuck (my dumb ass hit the rear brakes after taking the wheel/rotor assembly off), clean carbs, clean gas tank, rebuild petcock, fix broken vacuum(?) nipples on 1/2 carbs, bleed brakes

Still have a long way to go, but I'm only at the 1 week point so far.
            Last edited by Poody; 08-13-2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Poody View Post
              http://m.ebay.com/itm/141292910203?nav=SEARCH

Looking at this engine, not sure if it's worth the price/risk. I have a budget of $500 set for an engine, somebody steer me in the right direction please?
              Don't want to end up with 2 engines that don't run...

Pulled an all nighter last night to get work done on the Kat. Finished removing the last bolts from the suspension, stripped a couple with 12 point sockets, will only be using 6 points from here on out. Anyways, got most of the suspension parts clea ed, prepped and painted last night, as well as the frame. After I get replacement nuts for the few I managed to round off I'll start putting her back together with fresh grease packed in all the bearings.

For my own reference, here's an updated to do/buy list:
              Buy-Metal chain guard, the metal frame covers that on top of the rear fairings, handle bar sliders, suspension nuts, mintiest engine that can be bad for under $500, make copy of broken key, new chain and sprockets, new gas tank cap

Do- Reassemble suspension, strip and paint rear caliper arm/bracket, get rear caliper unstuck (my dumb ass hit the rear brakes after taking the wheel/rotor assembly off), clean carbs, clean gas tank, rebuild petcock, fix broken vacuum(?) nipples on 1/2 carbs, bleed brakes

Still have a long way to go, but I'm only at the 1 week point so far.

If your gonna buy an engine, upgrade it.

This is just as risky as what you linked for ALOT less.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for '90 Suzuki Katana GSX 750F 750 F - Engine Motor Transmission AS IS at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

This is a great option for you to use as well with free shipping...

Using the post 750 engine you can pick up a post header for the exhaust you didn't get either, and then pick any cool aftermarket "slip on" exhaust with adjustable hanger.

There are certainly no major issues stopping you from putting a 750cc in the bike. Additionally the minor issues are really simple to solve by swapping parts from the 600 engine to the 750. The alternator for example should swap right off to give you the correct electrical connector and wire.

The bike isn't worth "restoring" to original, it just won't add any value to it at all. So go all out, and build the thing. Especially if it's not goint to cost you more to do so.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

go with the with second engine kreylyn posted.. It looks super clean.

Comment

Not to say I think it's a bad idea, but do you honestly think that it's wise for somebody that's never ridden before to throw a 750cc engine in their first bike? I've seen it covered here, and general consensus seems to be that a 600 is an alright bike to start on, but I'm a little hesitant to start so big. I was originally planning on a ninja 250 so I don't want it to get out of hand. Otherwise the 750 looks nice.

I would just need the 750 carbs and header to go along with it right?

Comment

how much self control do you have? I hit the road (legally) with 3000+ miles dirt bike experience and about 1000 miles street.. I have no problem handling my 600 katana. Just be careful, take its slow and learn proper clutch/throttle control. DO NOT take turns fast. You have nothing to prove to anyone, if you want to go the speed limit or less wave people by. Have you EVER rode a motorcycle?

Comment

Not to say I think it's a bad idea, but do you honestly think that it's wise for somebody that's never ridden before to throw a 750cc engine in their first bike? I've seen it covered here, and general consensus seems to be that a 600 is an alright bike to start on, but I'm a little hesitant to start so big. I was originally planning on a ninja 250 so I don't want it to get out of hand. Otherwise the 750 looks nice.

I would just need the 750 carbs and header to go along with it right?

I don't think there is enough difference between the kat 600 or 750 for that to be a concern, personally. Both are going to be larger, heavy bikes... and both are equally dangerous for a new rider. The difference in CC isn't going to make one safer over the other, your choices are what's going to do that.

A 250 is decidedly smaller in size, weight, and power. It's going to be a definite difference in being safer and easier to learn on. More forgiving for sure.

As for the carbs... you "can" run the 600 carbs on the 750 engine with no issues. The only thing you would loose is some top end speeds, but as a new rider... you don't need those anyways.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Forgive me for being a newb to carbureted applications, I come from the 1.8t VW scene which is EFI. I'm thinking of this in terms of efi I guess, but would a carb that's jetted for a 600cc engine not run lean @ peak torque on a 750?

Also, I would like I think I have good self control. I know everyone says the 'fast car' thing isn't an excuse to get a large displacement sport bike, but in terms of self control, I drive a 450whp car every day. I get on the throttle once a week maybe. I don't think racing on the streets and shattering land speed records is very high on my priority list, I'm more interested in having a fun and affordable bike to ride.

In all honesty I will be selling this thing and buying something a little prettier next winter so I just need the cheapest way out to get this bike rideable

Got the rear brake caliper unstuck, tried to locate new bolts and flange nuts for the swing arm/rear suspension (failed) and cleaned the rest of the non engine related parts minus the plastics.
                        Last edited by Poody; 07-28-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Forgive me for being a newb to carbureted applications, I come from the 1.8t VW scene which is EFI. I'm thinking of this in terms of efi I guess, but would a carb that's jetted for a 600cc engine not run lean @ peak torque on a 750?

Also, I would like I think I have good self control. I know everyone says the 'fast car' thing isn't an excuse to get a large displacement sport bike, but in terms of self control, I drive a 450whp car every day. I get on the throttle once a week maybe. I don't think racing on the streets and shattering land speed records is very high on my priority list, I'm more interested in having a fun and affordable bike to ride.

In all honesty I will be selling this thing and buying something a little prettier next winter so I just need the cheapest way out to get this bike rideable

Got the rear brake caliper unstuck, tried to locate new bolts and flange nuts for the swing arm/rear suspension (failed) and cleaned the rest of the non engine related parts minus the plastics.

It's not the jetting that's the issue, but the carb bore size being smaller reducing flow into the engine, which reduces power over all because you have less total volume in the cylinder at the time of detonation.

On the other hand, it will increase slightly the low end of the engine. Not enough that most people would notice, but it does.

As for the future plans... then don't worry about what size you get, get the best priced one. The 750s did look like they were priced a bit better. Jus sayn...

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Bought the 750 engine linked earlier for $330

Will this exhaust work with my setup? (Post 750 and pre 600 frame)

I read the engine swap info on the wiki, but I'm not sure if there's a difference in the pre and post 750 exhausts. Thanks in advance for any info

Comment

Working...
                            X