Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WildKat
    Originally posted by tzortn
    AHF that is a great idea.

I would make one warning to people heading out to to buy carabiners. Make sure that you buy "load rated" carbiners. Some of them are just for lightweight/novelty applications.
    alot of the better ones you can find now even have the max weight they can support or a disclaimer written write on the package or carbiners itself.
    Yup, should have made that more clear. The ratings are on the sides of them (the real ones, not the fake ones). There are three ratings...length wise clasp shut, length wise clasp open, and with wise. You have to do the math to figure the weight limit, but for most of them it's a ridiculous strength. My straps would bust before the beeners would.

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
      This biggest tip I can offer in regards to not loosing your straps is to use carabeaners. $3-$4 at your local climbing store can save you a lot of trouble...

I've been doing this for the past 2 years. Prior to that I looped the straps through the hooks, which accomplishes the same thing.

In 5 years of hauling bikes I've never had strap come loose.
      I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

AHF do you use aluminum caribiners? Does the hole in the angle piece bite into the caribinder or did you just round the edges enough so it is not a problem?

Comment

I prefer the steel loops with a threaded hex piece to close the gap. You can get them at any decent hardware store.

I don't have any close up pics on hand, but if you look close you can see them in this pic:

Comment

Can you fit two bikes in the bed of a Toyota Tacoma or is that asking for trouble?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
              Can you fit two bikes in the bed of a Toyota Tacoma or is that asking for trouble?
              as long as one is not a Busa and the other a Tiller

maybe if you lay them on their side

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                AHF do you use aluminum caribiners? Does the hole in the angle piece bite into the caribinder or did you just round the edges enough so it is not a problem?
                They are aluminum, but it doesn't bite into them at all. There isn't a whole lot of strain on those points either...here's a few pics of the package. They are full size, so I will just link them instead of blowing up the thread...

As you can see, I used 4 straps on the front. The ones attached to that steel angle are backups that wrap around the top of the fork base.

The only thing I do differently now is where the staps meet the Canyon Dancers and tie straps, I use another carabeaner to connect the two rather than looping them webbing to webbing. Just like Wingspan does in the pictures above.

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                  Originally posted by tdrcomm
                  as long as one is not a Busa and the other a Tiller

maybe if you lay them on their side

You funny, funny man.
                  How about a Busa and a Ninja250? Or a Busa and a Kat?
                  Or should I just trailer everything?
                  sigpic

Comment

tdr, with the distance you're going I'd trailer if you bring a couple of bikes...but that's just my opinion.

Comment

AHF...why is that?

With the two bikes in the bed of the truck, I never noticed them at all!

(I hate trailers...never felt comfortable with them)

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                        AHF...why is that?

With the two bikes in the bed of the truck, I never noticed them at all!

(I hate trailers...never felt comfortable with them)

I, too, am not real comfortable with trailers. I'll do if I have to but I'd rather not.
                        sigpic

Comment

Towing a trailer can be a pain, but I eventually caved and bought a small one. It's much easier to load (especially with two bikes) and I needed the bed for luggage, tools, etc.

Comment

I hate trailers. I was in a relationship with one for about a year. Not making that mistake again.
                            TiM

Comment

Z had 2 bikes loaded up on his trailer and if I remember correctly he was hitting 80mph on the way there and back w/ no problem at all; didnt notice any swaying of the trailer either.

Me and Char on the other hand it took alittle getting used too. Every time we looked back it seemed as if the trailer was swaying back n forth just the slightest bit so that had us concerned and we went slower on the way down, hence the reason it took us 13 hours to get there

but on the way back for some reason we didnt notice the swaying and we were able to go atleast the speed limit on the interstates on the way back.

Comment

tdr, this is the biggest reason I suggested trailering.
                                Originally posted by Wingspan
                                It's much easier to load (especially with two bikes) and I needed the bed for luggage, tools, etc.
                                Also, I'm a little more partial to trailering because I've been towing one thing or another since I've been driving and, quite frankly, I like it and think it's fun.

The thing I enjoyed towing the most was actually the wife's Jeep back from school...

And then there is the beast that I hauled to the Gap...that was a chore. I know, should have bought the Hemi

Damn! Now I really want to go to the rally!

Comment

Working...
                                X