X

surrounding hard shell armour

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surrounding hard shell armour

After my accident last week, having my knee nearly run over by the cage (the kat got in the way and pushed me out of it... Then took some serious damage due to being run over by the cage), I'm thinking about hardshell armour that can take the weight of a passenger car (as transfered by the tires) in case I end up under it. If I can't find any, I'm considering fabricating a carbon-fiber one for myself at one of my university's facilities.

So, anybody know of any type of hardshell armor that can take that kind of impact/weight? Anything that's usable under the pants/jacket (don't want that carbon fiber scratching my new fairings once they come in!)?

In the end I'll have me a whole batman suit. Minus the cape, cause capes are silly.

what happened?

Comment

rain + construction site + bad tires + a cage u-turning onto you in the middle of the block (i.e. between the two intersections)= practically attempted homicide.

anyway, I was thinking of something along these lines, but harder and more road oriented: http://www.british-customs.com/icon-...-pr-16250.html , but with a complete 360 degree skeleton that will also hold in the more than likely case that another vancouverite tries to run me over, reverses, and then tries again.
      Naturally, I'm looking for the complete set, not just the leggings.

Comment

glad you're okay. Don't know about the batman suit though...

Comment

Cars are heavy...I'm not sure there is anything out there that's bullet proof like that without being incredibly bulky and heavy.

Any CF armor you make will certainly help when you go skidding into something, but it's not going to stop a 4,000 lb automobile from crushing whatever it runs over.

Praying to not get run over is probably going to be more effective.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're safe.

Comment

I'm glad you survived that and are still into riding. My first thought for protection (if you're planning to go Batman on us anyway) would be something in the way of the shoulder pads used by football players. Right now I'm thinking this is either ridiculous or brilliant. Your maneuverability would be decreased, that's for sure. If you come up with something, please share. I took an asphalt dive at 65 mph last year to avoid going through a back windshield when some guy decided to come to a complete stop in a single-lane interstate highway situation.
            Last edited by zuma; 08-28-2008, 08:31 AM. Reason: Is that dog in here? That wasn't the dog!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Capes aren't silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                Capes aren't silly.
                Ummmmmm........now you have us wondering Enjay.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                  Capes aren't silly.
                  Are too!

Comment

You need one of those Trojan series ballistic exo-skeletons built by the bear suit guy Troy Hurtubise

Comment

You will need a few millions in order to start off the research, hire PhD, scientist, engineers. Might as well apply for DARPA grants at that point.
                      sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

I would not be at all surprised if DARPA was working on something like this right now.

I won't say that it can't be done, but it is not easy as just laying up some carbon fiber.

Comment

Just imagine for a moment, even if you make this from carbon fiber it will be crushed by the smallest car on the road.

sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Duno, I've seen some carbon-plastic alloys that are supposed to be able to hold up to 2000kg. It doesn't need to be a full body piece, just a skeleton that will protect major bones and joints. for impacts CE armor should be good enough.

Particularly, if I remember correctly, it was carbon impregnated plastic. I'll look it up later tonight.
                            Last edited by Nissan; 08-28-2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

ok .. take a circle .. by itself it is easily crushed .. now put bracing in it to keep the sides apart and you have something that wont crush .. so unless you plan on making pins to run through your body to support that frame .. i dont see any way it has a chance of working .. and enough armor to do the job you want would make it impossible to move .. seeing as any seperation in it will be highly less protected .. but you would end up with nicely pre-packaged body parts .. aint a scientist .. but personal forcefields is your best bet.. given another few hundred years you should be able to ride in complete safety
                              so many roads so little time

Comment

Working...
                              X