X

Fouled plug???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fouled plug???

I have a 2001 Katana 600 someone put a GSXR 750 motor in it with stage three jetting and a full custom exhaust. I went to fire it up after it sat for a few months and it started to fire a few times then nothing. I figured I fouled the plugs because I could smell gas and it was backfiring. I took the tank off today and pulled a plug sat it across the head and I had no spark. It smoked like it was trying to spark. My question is could it be so fouled I wouldn't see spark??? They are decent iridium plugs but very black.

I'm guessing stage 3 maybe a little much on an unmodified motor, hence your running way rich and fouling plugs. You can clean plugs, I use gas and a brass wire brush.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I was just wondering if they could be so fouled that I couldn't see spark or of I had another problem with no spark. It did smoke when I turned it over on the tip of the plug. I am going to pock a new set up today. My motor may be modified. The they have a full exhaust and used to drag race it. I don't really need it so hopped up I just wasn't to ride it.

Comment

Yes it can be fouled so bad you don't see spark, very common. That's why it doesn't fire in the cylinder, no spark.
        The porcelain in the plug is porous and excess carbon packs into the porcelain blocking the spark from reaching the end of the electrode.

You can clean plugs, but best to replace. When you clean a plug, you're only cleaning the outside of the porcelain, the inside is still packed with carbon and it wont take much to foul again.
        "There's a green blur and a Gray blur. I try to stay on the gray one" Joey Dunlop RIP

Comment

Originally posted by j-wadd View Post
          I was just wondering if they could be so fouled that I couldn't see spark or of I had another problem with no spark. It did smoke when I turned it over on the tip of the plug. I am going to pock a new set up today. My motor may be modified. The they have a full exhaust and used to drag race it. I don't really need it so hopped up I just wasn't to ride it.
          A drag bike is setup for wide open, more fuel. Running it as a street bike won't go well. Detune it and ride with confidence.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If I run it on the street I will just run it wide open. lol I am not sure of all that's been done to it. I would love to detune it as long as I am still safe for the rest of what's done to it. It still has to stray jetted for the pipe right??? The pipe is loud as hell I will take some pics it has no baffles

Comment

Working...
            X