X

needing help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needing help

i have 95 600 kat and when i try to start it theres a big bang out the muffler and no start any ideas

Sounds like a back fire. Way to rich.
    Have you done anything to the carbs?
    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Originally posted by hinow41 View Post
      Sounds like a back fire. Way to rich.
      Have you done anything to the carbs?
      No, that's an after fire. Because it's to lean.

Comment

I thought that to much gas getting in would make a build up in the exhaust causing it to ignite and make a back fire?
        2005 Gsx600f- My baby
        Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

If it fires out the exhaust, it's an after fire. A backfire is through the carbs. The fuel is not all burning in the cylinder because there is to much air in the mix. Then when the unburnt fuel hits the hot header, it ignites. Creating an after fire through the muffler.

Comment

Ah ok,

2005 Gsx600f- My baby

Comment

I wasn't trying to make you feel stupid. When I do that, trust me, you'll know that was my point.

Comment

I know I just felt dumb
                2005 Gsx600f- My baby

Comment

i havnt done anything to the carbs should i have them rebuilt

Comment

if you are running a stock set up, drill out the brass covers and turn you a/f mix screws out to 2.5 turns. Look up the carb rebuild thread to identify the a/f mix screws if you dont know them already.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by mcglothern View Post
                      i havnt done anything to the carbs should i have them rebuilt

At the very least inspected and cleaned. The inspection will tell you if you need them rebuilt (it's probable, but not always 100%).

If you need them rebuilt, you can have a shop do it poorly...

You can get a good set from Chris (arsenic)

You can rebuild them yourself (probably have to do it a few times to get it right, but... if you have alot more time than $, it's an option.)

You should also check spark and make sure your getting that. When was the last time you checked your plugs? Have the valves ever been adjusted, and when was the last time/milage since it happened?

If you don't know any of that... time to go ahead and plan for that to happen at this point as well. (valves adjusted, new plugs, check the plug wires, clean the carbs, check the airfilter).

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                      X