Katana of the Month - February 2008  Dane-Kat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
zackeone
Katrider

Default Installing new grips with hairspray

Ive read a few places that you can use hairspray to install your new grips. Im wondering if later down the road you've experienced slipping or any negative side effects from using hairspray (for those who have used it).

audentes fortuna juvat
zackeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Spud
Knee Dragger

eBay ID: 11sal11

Worked like a charm for me. No problems at all.

Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
shadowhunter04
Tank Slapper

eBay ID: bojangles043

+1 spud

BANGERANG RUFIO!

shadowhunter04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
catfish
Knee Dragger

eBay ID: rally323gtx

the idea is it goes on slippy but dries up later and is not so slippy. i've never had issues slipping grips on without any lube, but i have the magic touch
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
venturesomerite
Knee Dragger

I've used this for years on my bmx bikes, works great. I never had a problem, and will be using it shortly when my new grips arive.
venturesomerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
zackeone
Katrider

Thanks for all the replies. Its much appreciated. Now i can go into my new mod without any worries...well almost no worries
Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Teh_K
Knee Dragger

Not sure if you're referring to the How To I made a while ago, but I have not had any problems with using hairspray - I actually only used it on the non-throttle side since the throttle sheath is notched.

In theory, a problem could arise if you ride in the rain (or otherwise get water under the grip) since it would re-liquify the hairspray and cause it to slip. However, I've ridden in the raid a few times and water never got in there, so...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
zackeone
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_K View Post
Not sure if you're referring to the How To I made a while ago, but I have not had any problems with using hairspray - I actually only used it on the non-throttle side since the throttle sheath is notched.

In theory, a problem could arise if you ride in the rain (or otherwise get water under the grip) since it would re-liquify the hairspray and cause it to slip. However, I've ridden in the raid a few times and water never got in there, so...
Your how to was where i originally got the idea (im going to use it this weekend btw). Thanks for the heads up about the rain. Just to clarify, you didnt use hairspray on the throttle side, and youve never had any problems with it?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
Rok_Stars_Bars
Kat Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackeone View Post
Your how to was where i originally got the idea (im going to use it this weekend btw). Thanks for the heads up about the rain. Just to clarify, you didnt use hairspray on the throttle side, and youve never had any problems with it?
I used hairspary on both grips on my bike. Never slipped at all. I rode in rain and fog and whateva. Never a problem. Just do it. Its a nice mod

Update Jul 11 2014
Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.
Rok_Stars_Bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Teh_K
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackeone View Post
Just to clarify, you didn't use hairspray on the throttle side, and you've never had any problems with it?
On the non-throttle side, I used hairspray so that it wouldn't spin, and so far everything is ok

On the throttle side, I did not use hairspray because there was no adhesive of any sort when I took the original grip off - so I left it the same. So far, I have not had any problems - except 1 very minor (really minor) annoyance: Over the course of riding (months), the grip tends to slide ever-so-slightly down towards the bar end (probably due to the engine vibrations). This was not a problem on the stock grip because it had extra rubber material that went over the large circular ridge next to the control pod, preventing the grip from shifting left/right (the new grips just butt up against the ridge).

As I said, this is very minor - but if you're hardcore, I think they make special grip glue that will not liquify in water that's safe to use on the throttle sheath.

Last edited by Teh_K; 04-28-2008 at 09:06 PM..
Teh_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk