Katana of the Month  September 2008  mreedohio

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics

Wiring and Electrics Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #11
Kit Kat
Skid Mark

So it's been a while since I've posted anything concerning the lack of power issue for my 2001 750F. In that time, I've replaced the ignition switch, main relay and the ignition control unit; all to no avail. I've tested every fuse on the bike and checked the kill switch/starter switch for continuity. All are good.

Right now when I turn the key to on, the clock in the cluster loses power and no lights come on. But when I disconnect the black connector at the front of the bike which connects the kill/starter switch to the main harness and turn the key to on, the cluster lights up normally with the neutral and oil lamp and the clock stays on. Hit the turn signals with the kill/starter switch still disconnected and the cluster lights flash but not the signal cluster lights. Hit the horn button, cluster lights go off until horn button released but no horn sounds. Battery shows 13V while on the charger.

At this point, I don't know what else to check. Unless anyone has any other ideas, I'm throwing in the towel and carting it off to the shop.
Kit Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
mlgower
Skid Mark

I don't know if you are still having this issue or not, but I had the same thing going on with mine. In my case the PO had wired the starter relay backwards. and with that no power to the bike when you turn the key. I'm at work ATM and don't have a pic of the starter relay but as I recall there is a B and an S on the relay relating to the main wires from the Battery and to the Starter. make sure that those are correct. This had me pulling my hair out until I realized what had happened. In the end, I scored a great bike for $350. 98 Katana 600. I am still working out the fuel system but expect to have it running this weekend. I hope this helps.
mlgower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #13
92xjunker
Kat King

eBay ID: guysmustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Kat View Post
So it's been a while since I've posted anything concerning the lack of power issue for my 2001 750F. In that time, I've replaced the ignition switch, main relay and the ignition control unit; all to no avail. I've tested every fuse on the bike and checked the kill switch/starter switch for continuity. All are good.

Right now when I turn the key to on, the clock in the cluster loses power and no lights come on. But when I disconnect the black connector at the front of the bike which connects the kill/starter switch to the main harness and turn the key to on, the cluster lights up normally with the neutral and oil lamp and the clock stays on. Hit the turn signals with the kill/starter switch still disconnected and the cluster lights flash but not the signal cluster lights. Hit the horn button, cluster lights go off until horn button released but no horn sounds. Battery shows 13V while on the charger.

At this point, I don't know what else to check. Unless anyone has any other ideas, I'm throwing in the towel and carting it off to the shop.
On the charger? That says nothing but, the charger works. Have the battery load tested. It's free assurance. Check all of your plug connections.....while you are there clean the connection points and grease the plugs with dielectric grease.
You need to trace the power source to find where it stops but, first the battery test.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
HIGHLANDER
Chicken Strip

Starter relay could be to blame. Took a $15 part to sort the problem. The other issue could be the side switch.

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics