X

Removing front wheel guard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing front wheel guard

I'm taking all the fairings off my bike and I have everything off except for the front wheel guard or whatever it is called. I unscrewed the plastic guard from the metal plate and the metal plate from the wheels but I can't get the wheel guard off. Do I need to remove the front wheel to get it off? Any suggestions on how to do this without a front wheel stand?

When I took the front fender off my 97, under the plastic cover you'll notice a metal plate and a set of screws. The screws will just turn in place if you try to loosen them because you need to reach up underneath the wheel and there are 4 nuts. Hold them with (I think) a 10mm box wrench, then unscrew it from the top.

You may need to wiggle the fender a little bit to get it off, but nothing else holds it.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
      When I took the front fender off my 97, under the plastic cover you'll notice a metal plate and a set of screws. The screws will just turn in place if you try to loosen them because you need to reach up underneath the wheel and there are 4 nuts. Hold them with (I think) a 10mm box wrench, then unscrew it from the top.

You may need to wiggle the fender a little bit to get it off, but nothing else holds it.
      If you don't remove the front wheel, you really do have to cram your hand/wrench in between the top of the tire and bottom of the front fender to get ahold of these nuts. It is easier with the wheel off but not absolutely necessary

Comment

I was able to get the set screws and metal plate off, but the plastic bows in before the front wheel bars and bows out about 1/2" after the wheel bars so when I try to pull it towards me it gets stuck... maybe just need a little more elbow grease?

Comment

I think I pulled it up toward the top of the forks, then it slid right out.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah , you gotta wiggle it out once it's loose . Takes a little persuasion .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'll try... just don't want to break the plastic... also worried that when I put new paint on, it will scrape off

Comment

Plastic will bend quite a bit before it'll snap . Especially if it's not REAL cold (might be a little stiffer if it's cold) .

Comment

After you paint it take the wheel off..
                  Its not a big deal..
                  (you can clean your calipers too!)

Watch out though there is a foam bit there behind the
                  forks.. (to bumper the forks and fender)
                  You will have to peel it off and replace it or paint over it..

Some one posted about jb welding the nuts in place..

Comment

I'll check it out, thanks again. Any advice on how to remove the front wheel when all I have is the centerstand?

Comment

YES!!

Get some 2X4s and and stack them up
                      under the pipes. Then lift the front wheel
                      (while on the center stand) it's not
                      that hard, and slip one more under it..

Comment

Ok, thanks once again. Is it a really involved/painful process to remove the wheel itself. I'm new to the whole bike scene and it definately doesn't seems as easy as removing a car wheel where you just unscrew the nuts. And how difficult is it to remove the rear wheel? Just because I'm planning on getting new diablo strada's in the spring

Comment

Once you get the front up:

1. Remove the brake calipers.
                          (try to keep them from hanging on their hoses..)
                          This requires a little wiggling.

2. (optional) using a phillips head screwdriver
                          remove the speedo cable from the "sender" on the
                          left side of the wheel (if you have one)

3. loosen the bolt on the left side fork leg
                          (at the tip)

4. remove the cotter pin from the nut on the right side of the front axle. Remove the nut.
                          (you may have to hold the other end of the axle with a wrench)

5. supporting the wheel gently tap the axle loose.
                          Still supporting the wheel pull the axle free..

Note:
                          As you remove the axle there is a spacer on the right side that will fall free, becareful as you want to not the way it fits in. (it has a wide end and a narrow end)
                          Add a bit of grease to the speedo sender if it looks like it needs it..

NOTE:
                          If you have a front speedo sender make sure it is
                          tipped right to allow the speedo cable the room needed before tightening the axle.

Comment

Originally posted by robm
                            And how difficult is it to remove the rear wheel? J
                            Not very . Remove cotter pin , loosen axle nuts , turn adjuster out (so you can push the wheel forward) , knock axle out (I use a mallet and screwdriver) , take chain off . Pretty simple , really . You don't HAVE to do the adjusters , but it makes putting the wheel back on a little easier .

Comment

car scissor jack right in between the exhaust pipe where they collect together and i just drilled the bolts out and replaced them when i took my fender off.

Comment

Working...
                              X