X

Body Kit Fairings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Kit Fairings

I know on the race bikes there are different types of fairings you can buy to change the color of the bike or like race plastics or something and one guy at Texas Motor Speedway had race plastics on his Katana he was an instructor but i forgot to ask him where he got it from any ideas??
    06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

ebay

Comment

If you're talking about stock fiberglass bodywork for pre98 kats, I believe airtech is the only one that sells anything. Maier makes stock plastic replacements for the pre98s as well, but all I've ever hear is that their quality is pretty bad.

If you own a 98+ kat...your screwed...no one makes anything. If you want anything custom...again, zero off the shelf options. I'm currently working on some bodywork products for the gsxf models but prototypes aren't going to be out until spring. A number of people have tried to adapt bodywork from other bikes to their kats, but none are bolt on and I've only seen a couple that have been done well.

Comment

Cheetah racing bodies has fiberglass panels for 98+ http://www.crbodies.com/Default.aspx...tSearch=katana
        sigpic

Comment

They have body work for Pre and Post

Comment

THey have duct tape in many pretty colors ......
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Prices seem pretty steep if you ask me...$259 for one sidepanel. You can buy complete race fairings for other bikes from other manufacturers for around $350-450

Originally posted by seabass10369 View Post
              Cheetah racing bodies has fiberglass panels for 98+ http://www.crbodies.com/Default.aspx...tSearch=katana

Comment

i agree their prices suck. i was just saying they make em.
                sigpic

Comment

Not to mention fiberglass sucks bigtime for fairings...

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
                    Not to mention fiberglass sucks bigtime for fairings...
                    But supposedly its lighter and if your racing then thats what you want.
                    Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                    www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

My race body work was $400 plus like $50 for shipping... it fits decent enough but $400 body work is crap. It doesnt fit very well, the openings are cut like crap, there is not any support in the tail so it wants to just flop around, the primer on it is total crap and needed to be reprimed before painting... the $900 for the Pre Katanas is a little bit steep but not all that unreasonable if the quality is any good. Fiberglass is also easier to fix, not just lighter...

And why is fiberglass bad for fairings?

Comment

+ 1 on easier to fix fibreglass didnt think of that.
                        Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                        www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Originally posted by SHARKBOY521 View Post
                          My race body work was $400 plus like $50 for shipping... it fits decent enough but $400 body work is crap. It doesnt fit very well, the openings are cut like crap, there is not any support in the tail so it wants to just flop around, the primer on it is total crap and needed to be reprimed before painting... the $900 for the Pre Katanas is a little bit steep but not all that unreasonable if the quality is any good. Fiberglass is also easier to fix, not just lighter...

And why is fiberglass bad for fairings?
                          Glass fairings are great for track days but I think with more flex than ABS bodywork, the typical arguement is that long term paint jobs spider and crack a bit easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Erki View Post
                            But supposedly its lighter and if your racing then thats what you want.
                            The only arguement one can have to use fiberglass in stead off ABS for racefairings would be the price, however on a sidenote (fast calculating) I could make full racefairings for 700 dollars out off carbon/kevlar, even lighter and none off the disadvantages off fiberglass.
                            Fiberglass is too britle, it cracks and simply falls apart on the long term if opposed to vibrations.
                            On top off that fiberglass does a hell off a lesser job protecting the bike in case off a crash than ABS would do.

On the "easy repair" .......
                            really? I rather repair some ABS (which I do on a regular basis) than fiberglass (which I won't repair, I'll send people away)
                            All you need to do with ABS is some clean donormaterial, a plastic-welder and to ease things up a bit a dremeltool.
                            The repair will be invisible and as strong as the rest off the repaired piece.
                            Now fill in your needs to accomplish a fiberglass repair and the eventual result.

Comment

I never thought that the body works job was to protect the bike...

Whats needed for glass repair?
                              Glass mat, resin, sandpaper...
                              Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                              X