No announcement yet.
X

Anyone using a GPS?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magellan 3210; inexpensive and does enough to get you where you need to plus some.

'98 Katana 600
    '08 Boulevard C50T

sigpic

Comment

I'm actually kinda anti-gps. I used to have one and used it all the time, then it broke. I haven't replaced it after 2 years. There are handy and useful but I stare at computer screens all day and the gps is just another thing to take my eyes off the ride. I think Colin Fletcher (grandfather of modern backpacking) likened using gps to taking a television along (I'm paraphrasing here).

I took all the maps I need with when I flew to FLA to pick up my bike and ride it home. I changed the path en route and found I was missing Indiana. When I figured this out I wish I had a gps, badly. Then I went into "paper map and dead-reackoning mode" and figured out a solution. A little bit of the unknown made that leg the most fun and I got back on my maps with no problem. Also made a ferry crossing of the Ohio I might have avoided just because I've never done one on a bike. Very cool after I releaxed!

I'm the same way with a music player to a degree. I find that with foam ear plugs in and an open road in front of me is my little head-shrinker's couch. I call it "helmet time". However, when I'm far from home and my body and spirit are breaking I put on some Judas Priest or Fight. It's my secret weapon
      Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
      G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

Comment

Garmin Nuvi

I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 I use it in the car and on the bike, it works great. You can pick one up on ebay for 200.00, and it has a mp3 player built in. The Ram adapter for the bike cost another 30.00, and uses rubber pivots for any vibration. I'm very happy with it. I have used it on its own battery for 6 hours.

Comment

I have a TomTom one (v. 3) that I am going to be using this weekend. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll post again after my trip. I'm planning on wiring it right in, so I don't have to worry about battery. It didn't come with a bike mount, so unless I think of something better in the next couple of days, I'll just use the suction cup.

Comment

GARMIN NUVI 200. So far so good. I used a mount that came with my brothers' zumo. It mounts to the brake reservoir. Was on sale for $149.00.

Comment

Originally posted by DINGBAT View Post
              GARMIN NUVI 200. So far so good. I used a mount that came with my brothers' zumo. It mounts to the brake reservoir. Was on sale for $149.00.
              the mounts from the zumo's will fit the nuvi 200? if so i will be buying those 2
              Chrome Project Part 1
              http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend Cx handheld with a suction mount to the tank.
                Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I use a PocketPc Yokumo (for 4years now) with TomTom 6.O and I slide it in the mapholder of my tankbag.
                  I connect it to the battery of the bike. I am very pleased of it and we already made a fiew big trips.

Comment

I had a Streetpilot 2820 with a perfect-craddle, nowadays a Zumo 550 and I must say (could hardly imagine that!) it works even better than the SP.
                    I did actually test the TomTomRider and the Zumo (got a great supplier), and allthough slightly more expensive the Zumo 550 is imho the better bike-GPS.

Comment

I use my RAM mounted nuvi 350. It works great and b4 I bought the ram mount, I carried it in my fron jacket pocket with headphones. The nuvi 350 tells you the name of the street that you are to turn on instead of saying turn in 200 feet, so you don't have to look at the screen at all, just listen to the voice! It also has the mp3 player so you can listen to music and then the voice will chime in and remind you that you will be turning on Oak Ave in two miles!! I love it either way. I know have it on the ram mount specifically designed for the nuvi 350 and it works great. I have to use the quick disconnet when not in use because I killed my battery several years before putting it on my bike by over-charging it.
                      [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

I have the TomTom One with a Techmount mount. It works awesome with that mount. I have hard wired it on to the bike as well
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

i have a magekkan crossover gps. the thing is great! it works on cars , boats , hiking ( it leaves a trail of breadcrums for you, so you dont even need pre planned routes to get back) , and its water proof - so you can bring it on the bike!
                          i just stick it to the speed-o using the suction cup mount that the unit comes with. personally , i love it!

<< RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                          KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

I installed my nuvi 350 with a ram mount and ran the power through the cigarette lighter adapter under the seat. I just have to hit quick disconnect after each use, but set up works great...
                            Attached Files
                            [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

Tom-Tom ONE with the specific RAM mount kit for the Tom-Tom ONE, similar to what Catcha23 is using, but I still need to wire up power however...I sell RAM mounts at my company too, so the pricing is good too...I'll try to get some pictures up.

Comment

Garmin Nuvi 350 with RAM mount. I hate to leave home without it. Saved my *** many, MANY times. The only downside is that I need to remember to zero out my maximum speed once in a while. I'd hate to have it used against me in a traffic stop.

Actually that reminded me of one of the reasons I use it. I use my GPS as a digital speedometer. I notice that the speedo on my bike is about 5mph faster than what I am actually doing. GPS says I am doing 63mph, speedo says I am doing 68mph.
                                Last edited by marm0t; 09-08-2008, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X