X

Put tested/charged battery back in...now NOTHING

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put tested/charged battery back in...now NOTHING

Some of you may have noticed that I was looking for a battery box as well as a starter.

A little history...I bought my '94 600 back in April of this year. Started fine. No issues. Then one day after riding 3 days previous I went to go for a ride and I hit the start button and all I got was clicks. Assuming I left the parking lights on, I put it on a tender overnight. The next day I tried to start it and got the same thing. Just clicks..and a slow turning starter.

Not knowing the history of the bike I assumed it was the battery. So I attempted to remove it to have it tested. That's when I found out that the PO had put in a battery that was too big for the box. It was literally crammed in the box, shaving off the corners of the battery. I had to take the battery box out with the battery intact to have it tested. It tested fine.

Well after I got the battery back in and everything hooked back up...I had all dash lights, headlights (both hi and lo), and signals...I hit the start button and nothing..then all my lights went out....now I have nothing....yes I have checked all of the fuses. It appears that I am missing something... When it comes to checking voltage, etc I have virtually no experience however I do have a meter.

I'm a computer programmer by trade and apparently not much of a mechanic. If someone can help me with this problem I would greatly appreciate it. Point me where to look, tell me how to use a meter, etc....I would be forever grateful.

Please let me know if you have questions or need further info.

Thanks muchly in advance!!

DLW
    1994 Black Kat 600

Clean the battery terminals with a wire brush and make them shine. Sounds like a crappy connection to me. After you clean, coat with Vaseline to protect. Yes, regular old Vaseline. Best corrosion inhibitor I've ever used.

Oh, and be sure the ground has a good connection as well.

Comment

Sounds like the starter clutch may be stuck. Down load the service manual, and investigate from there.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Could also be a bad ground connection - a bad ground can cause many different symptoms - make sure the ground cable is secured attached to the bike at both ends.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
          Could also be a bad ground connection - a bad ground can cause many different symptoms - make sure the ground cable is secured attached to the bike at both ends.
          Don't you mean the battery at one end, the bike at the other? Otherwise this may be his problem!

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
            Don't you mean the battery at one end, the bike at the other? Otherwise this may be his problem!

I already mentioned I was mechanically "challenged"....I don't need to be chasing my tail..

I will check on all suggestions when I get home this evening.

Thanks!!

DLW
            1994 Black Kat 600

Comment

It was a joke that I just couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                It was a joke that I just couldn't resist.

Oh I know....and I appreciate the humor.

DLW
                1994 Black Kat 600

Comment

Originally posted by DLW View Post
                  Oh I know....and I appreciate the humor.

DLW

Comment

who and how did you battery get tested? If someone just threw a meter on it that aint a good test. It has to hold up the voltage under load, like hitting the starter. You could still have a bad battery. Did you check the cells for fluid? put a meter on the battery, take a reading, should be 12.5v, key on, over 12v. hit the starter, over 10.5 volts. anything less, your battery needs a charge, or you have a bad battery. If the voltages stay good, start chasing the main grounds. battery to frame, and motor. Then start looking at your wiring from battery to solenoid to starter.
                    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

A couple of the guys made mention of proper grounds, DLW.

Follow your ground (negative post) cable from the battery. It will snake itself towards the rear of the engine crankcase. You will see where it grounds on one of the crankcase bolts. Make sure that this ground is nice and clean and has a good contact. That is imperative.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                        who and how did you battery get tested? If someone just threw a meter on it that aint a good test. It has to hold up the voltage under load, like hitting the starter. You could still have a bad battery. Did you check the cells for fluid? put a meter on the battery, take a reading, should be 12.5v, key on, over 12v. hit the starter, over 10.5 volts. anything less, your battery needs a charge, or you have a bad battery. If the voltages stay good, start chasing the main grounds. battery to frame, and motor. Then start looking at your wiring from battery to solenoid to starter.

DL,

I took the battery out and took it to a local auto parts store where they put their battery tester on it. Obviously they didn't test it under load but it did show 12.4v as I looked at the readout. I trust their judgement that the battery is good.

I didn't get a chance last night to chase down the ground but hope to get to it tonight. I did have "issues" getting the battery in and reconnected since I had to put the battery in "box and all" so it is highly possible there is something not making a proper connection.

Thanks for the feedback!!

DLW

Originally posted by jetta90 View Post
                        A couple of the guys made mention of proper grounds, DLW.

Follow your ground (negative post) cable from the battery. It will snake itself towards the rear of the engine crankcase. You will see where it grounds on one of the crankcase bolts. Make sure that this ground is nice and clean and has a good contact. That is imperative.

Thanks Jetta....I'll try and get to this tonight.

DLW
                        Last edited by DLW; 10-06-2011, 08:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        1994 Black Kat 600

Comment

Originally posted by DLW View Post
                          I took the battery out and took it to a local auto parts store where they put their battery tester on it. Obviously they didn't test it under load but it did show 12.4v as I looked at the readout. I trust their judgement that the battery is good.
                          And yet... the battery isn't good. Thier test with out load didn't tell you if the battey was good, just that it had a charge. I just dealt with the same issue for someone else's bike. The battery was on a charger, showed good. Pull it off the charger, it would test at holding a 12.5v charge. Turn the key on, hit the starter... nothing but clicking. Turn the key off, check the battery... 12.4v charge. Turn the key on, check the battery while the starter button was pressed... 4,3-5.6v showing... massive drop under load. Let off the button, the charge rises back up to over 12v.

Hook another battery up, run a jumper from a car battery (car not running), or use a jump starter hooked to the battery.... see if that make any difference for you. Bet it will.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

A batter can hold 12.5v, but have dead cells.

Dead cells mean you aren't getting the CCA you need to turn the motor over.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Actually guys I get NOTHING now...so I don't know if the battery is bad. I will check all ideas tonight.

Krey I will definitely try at least hooking up the car battery(not running) to see if that gets me somewhere.

Again I appreciate all the thoughts and ideas!!

DLW
                              Last edited by DLW; 10-06-2011, 09:39 AM.
                              1994 Black Kat 600

Comment

Working...
                              X