X

GSXR rear subframe, on pre 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR rear subframe, on pre 750?

Anybody ever replace the steel rear subframes on a Katana with aluminum gsxr subframes?
    I dunno, seems like a semi-bolt on trick.
    I'm thinking I could eliminate 25lb from my 1990 750 Kat, if I put a 97 GSXR tail from Air Tech on a salvaged 1997 GSXR subframe.
    Anybody done a trick like this?

I feel like it would have to be ALL bolt on. Im no metal worker, but from my understanding, welding aluminum to steel? Historically NOT awesome.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Just need to weld on the threaded brackets at the correct height, length and angle...
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

You're looking at this in way that differs from my view. Yes, you would be eliminating 25 lbs., but you still have about 500 other ones that are still there. It seems like a lot of work for a slim benefit. If you want to do it because it looks cool, great, say that. I'll tell you 25 lbs. in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean anything.

Comment

Gas-punk culture

Right Arse-snick,
          It's the joy of useless tinkering on obsolete machinery that pleases me.

Comment

Looking at this 93-95 subframe, seems like I could buy the parts in the hardware store and make it.
            Just square aluminum tubing welded together.

Comment

I don't believe the hardware store sells that grade of aluminum, only the soft stuff and Bending it could be an issue, it will kink quickly. You'll also need a rivnut tool and some nuts. Oh, and a TIG welder..
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

The 93 subframes are selling for less than $50 anyway.
                Last edited by buffalobill; 07-06-2016, 08:12 AM.

Comment

spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                  X