Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Preval sprayers for paint job...........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preval sprayers for paint job...........

So I'm still debating on whether or not I want to go ahead and invest in the equipment needed to paint my bike. (Spray Gun, filters, etc etc)...when I run into a guy I know at work. Turns out his brother does paint and body work. So he gave me his number. I called and he said if I wanted to do it myself and I was willing to put the time in (prep work etc) and I didn't want to commit to buying a good gun and all the needed equipment, I could use Preval Spray bombs.

He said pick the paint I want at a paint supply place (hardener etc) and then mix it at home and use the preval to spray it.

He also told me if the paint is intact on my plastics / tank, that the only places I would need primer / sealer would be where I had to sand through the paint to fix deep scratches etc.

He said that I can use preval sprayer for primer and clear too...Said if I take my time and put in the prep work, that it will look great and be durable.

He also said I could use this clear coat that comes in an spray can

He said it's the only clear he's used that comes in a spray can and actually is chemical / gas resistant.

So I'm going to pick out paint colors sometime this week and pick up paint / primer-sealer / and clear coat.

I'll try to take pics when I start. It won't be until after the 750 swap gets done....

My dad was always a big fan of those... personally I think they are more pain than they are worth.

Also, I called about a dozen places last year when I was getting ready to do paint... and color-rite ended up being the cheapest because everything comes in "ready to go" quantities. You don't need to buy gallons of flex, hardener, or thinner along with the quart of paint.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I have used them numerous times in the past for home projects and also at work for priming parts before paint.

They worked OK for things like bike / auto frames on my home stuff and very well for priming A/C parts. But I wouldn't use them for a final exterior finish.

WAY too much orange peel. Unless you don't mind spending the time wet sanding it out before clear coating
      Last edited by DayKat; 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
      It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

Why too much orange peel? He said if the mix is right, that someone who is good with spray cans can get a nice finish, especially on smaller pieces such as motorcycle parts...........

He emphasized, like every other body /paint guy I've ever known, that prep was the key....

Comment

i used one of those, once.....

I've never heard of the stuff you have linked there as far as rattle-can clear, but I have used this before with great results...it is wetsand and buff-able.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Well I think what I'm going to do is test this out...

I've got a spare fairing that has some lower damage, but it's otherwise clean. I'm going to sand it down with 600 Wet, hit it with some primer / sealer (using a preval) then hit it with some base coat (preval again) and if it looks good at that point, I'll try using the preval with good clearcoat / activator...

I'll update when I kick this off.

Comment

Doesn't look like it would hold a lot of paint. That's a lot of refilling during the painting. You'd really only be able to work on maybe two peices at a time in order to spray again after the pain flashes.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

Well space is one of my bigger issues to overcome, so I'll be working one piece at a time.

We'll see out it does.

Comment

I understand. I'm in the same boat myself.
                  Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                  -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                  -Terence

Comment

Even the best painters in the world get some orange peel it is all about wet sanding and buffing the clear once done painting

Comment

Working...
                    X