Katana of the Month - January 2008  Erki

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Katana How-To's & FAQ's

Katana How-To's & FAQ's A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #21
robm
Poser

I didn't need to cut a hole at the end of the grips, they were already open? do they come in different sizes? if so how do you know what size they are?
robm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #22
Aramis
Poser

Fitting problem gone for me, I actually shaved all the grooves out of the plastic on the throttle side. Including the edge at both ends..

Now everything I buy will fit.

Only problem is you can't really go back to the stock ones...

Aramis
Aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #23
robm
Poser

I still have a gap on my throttle side grip similar to the one in the picture. When I put the grip closer the the inside then I just get a gap on the outside (by the handlebar ends). Any advice? Also, I did not have to cut anything out, mine already had open ends on both sides
Old 03-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #24
Teh_K
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm
I still have a gap on my throttle side grip similar to the one in the picture. When I put the grip closer the the inside then I just get a gap on the outside (by the handlebar ends). Any advice? Also, I did not have to cut anything out, mine already had open ends on both sides
Are you using ProGrip #719's?

Even if you were, I wouldn't be surprised - not all #719's are the same. I think I've seen, like, 3 different #719 model grips. Anyway, keep in mind that there is supposed to be some gap on both ends so that the grip doesn't drag on the bar ends or the control cluster. Also, if you haven't yet, put the bar end back on to see if that might close some of the gap on the outside. Then you can center the grip between the bar end and the control cluster.

Ultimately, I don't think there's much you can do. The grip is only so long - but it should be as long as the OEM grip so you shouldn't have any increased gaps...
Teh_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #25
robm
Poser

Yeah, it's the #719... but I was worried that they might have different sizes in the same model. It's strange because the left handlebar grip is the same size as stock but the throttle side is shorter. Basically I got the grip all the way in so there's no gap on the control cluster end but there's 1/8 - 1/4" gap between the grip and the bar end. Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 11:26 PM   #26
Teh_K
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm
...Basically I got the grip all the way in so there's no gap on the control cluster end but there's 1/8 - 1/4" gap between the grip and the bar end.
Even the stock setup had a small gap on the control cluster end - maybe between 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch, if I recall (at least ours did). If you wanted, slide the grip away from the cluster a little to close the bar end gap.

Here's the stock gap that I'm talking about (photo ganked from this thread).
Teh_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #27
asbury
Squid

Default Good write

Previous owner stripped the bolt. I was able to get it off. Where can I get the bolt. I'm still having hard time taking left side grips. Oh well left one is the only grip I need to replace. I'm going to give it another try. Thanks you again.
asbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #28
md86
Katastical

eBay ID: md86dammit

Hardware store .

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86
md86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #29
revkat
Chicken Strip

Thanks for this. I just did this and it work great.

Thanks,
Ryan
revkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #30
jt747
Skid Mark

Thanks for the info. Got my grips off OK (had to cut em) but I put chrome grips on. They look real good and I got the left one on with a rubber mallet and some hairspray. The throttle was a royal pain as I had to file down the entire flange before malleting this on. Since they're chrome there isn't a lot of give to them so when I was trying to pount it all the way on (trying to cover the very end of the throttle where the previous grip was tucked in) I heard a snap and now the switch assembly is loose. I really don't want to replace it because that will entail getting the grip off which I don't want to do.
jt747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Katana How-To's & FAQ's