Katana of the Month - February 2008  Dane-Kat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki GSXF 650 Talk

Suzuki GSXF 650 Talk A little corner of katriders for the new GSXF 650s.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
Jakedasnake9
Skid Mark

Default GSXF 600: Gas leaking everywhere internally

Hello,

the story before hand simplified: drove 2 hours the day before without any problems, next day bike wouldn't start.

problem: found a pool of gasoline inside air box (like almost a gallon of gas), after i cleared it out bike started fine drove it around the block just to see if it would come back and about half way around bike kept bogging down/ shutting off, took it all off again and there was very little gas/ oil mixture in there and i looked in oil and gas also found its way down there as well.

searching around online it seems the most common problem for this would be the needle not working properly in the carbs. would you guys agree with this or do you have another opinion?

also, i noticed a hose coming out from the bottom of my air box and it goes down to the ground and doesn't connect to anything (not exactly sure what its purpose is) but both that hose and the hose next to it (happened to be the breather hose for the gas tank) had a cap over the end of them. i don't know what the air box hose is for but wouldn't the breather hose be useless with this cap?

-Jake

P.S. first time posting so i hope its in the right area, and sorry for the long description.
Jakedasnake9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
92xjunker
Neo-Maxiod-Zoomed-Dweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

That cap is to drain any liquid in the airbox like fuel, oil or accumulated moisture.
I agree, time for carb service and what is the petcock set on? Forward, down or back. Forward or down, you need to service the petcock also. Fuel should stop when the engine is off in those positions. Check the tank for crap also.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
Jakedasnake9
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjunker View Post
That cap is to drain any liquid in the airbox like fuel, oil or accumulated moisture.
I agree, time for carb service and what is the petcock set on? Forward, down or back. Forward or down, you need to service the petcock also. Fuel should stop when the engine is off in those positions. Check the tank for crap also.
Thanks for the reply!

I don't believe its a petcock issue because i have removed the tank probably 3 times now and gas only comes out when its in the prime position, not when its on ON or Reserve. ill know for sure tomorrow since my gas tank is off at the moment and it will have been sitting all night.

I completely drained the tank the first time i took it off and put fresh gas in and from what i can see from the fill cap its pretty clean inside, no rust spots , gunk build up ect.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Jakedasnake9
Skid Mark

alright, so i took apart carbs and everything looked almost brand new in there but i went ahead and just cleaned everything out. when i put it back together it started and ran for a few minutes before it flooded enough to stall it.

so on try #2 i went ahead and got a new needle/seat, floats, and all new gaskets. put it all in checked float levels ect. and its still flooding and stalling out.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
RobertTravis
Tank Slapper
Supporting Member

Did you set/check your float level in each carb?
RobertTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
shpielers
Kat Master

Pull the carbs off the bike, set up an auxiliary fuel source, and let them sit for a while until you can see which one is leaking, and where from.
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
pikachukat
Chicken Strip

Check the float level for each carb.
pikachukat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Jakedasnake9
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTravis View Post
Did you set/check your float level in each carb?
Yes, the float levels were the correct height according to a the manual for my bike i found online

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpielers View Post
Pull the carbs off the bike, set up an auxiliary fuel source, and let them sit for a while until you can see which one is leaking, and where from.
when i did that it leaked a little bit form the drain nipple on the bottom of the bowls, which is still a problem that needs to be fixed but it didnt seem to leak out either the engine or air box side. also i do not understand why it leaked out of the nipple since the screw to open it up is screwed all the way in.

Last edited by Jakedasnake9; 06-08-2016 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
mmiltonp
Katrider

eBay ID: mmiltonp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedasnake9 View Post
Yes, the float levels were the correct height according to a the manual for my bike i found online

when i did that it leaked a little bit form the drain nipple on the bottom of the bowls, which is still a problem that needs to be fixed but it didnt seem to leak out either the engine or air box side. also i do not understand why it leaked out of the nipple since the screw to open it up is screwed all the way in.
your bowl could be cracked where the screw threads in, I have 2 that were cracked by the previous owner's "tech". Over tightened the screws... fixed mine with some fuel resistant epoxy... its been holding up for about 2 years now!

mmiltonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
maniac1886
Kat Daddy

I'm surprised this hasn't been said.. If you had almost a gallon of fuel in your airbox, you need to check your oil for fuel. You can usually smell the gas in the oil and the oil level will be way above full. If either of those scenarios are the case, you need to drain the oil and fill it with new before you run the motor any more. Leaky carbs almost always manage to dump fuel into your head.
maniac1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki GSXF 650 Talk