Katana of the Month  September 2008  mreedohio

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Pics and Flicks

Pics and Flicks Share your motorcycle pics and videos here.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
"K"
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpielers View Post
I've done the seafoam in the crankcase on a car, never on a bike. Was always worried about that screwing with the clutch plates. If you do it, I'd be interested in knowing if it does/doesn't effect them. I've got an old 92 1100 that I'm sure has a lot of sludge that an oil flush just won't get.
Old thread on ADV Rider about SeaFoam in wet clutch engine crankcase.

I've been using SeaFoam in motorcycles with wet clutch for years to clean out stuff.. works great for me so far and I will keep doing so.
"K" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
"K"
Knee Dragger

Well, took off the sparkplugs and 2 out of 4 were fouled up, those 2 cylinders the valves were out, too. New spark plugs, adjusted the valves, new valve & plug gaskets. Cam chain doesn't seem to make noise after valves are done.

Float valves on the two cylinders were gummed up, Seafoam did great job loosening them up, when I took apart the carbs they were easy to clean.

With valves done, carbs cleaned, sync'ed the throttle, I started to change the oil; drained out little more than 6 qt. from the drain plug, PO must had filled the oil with bike sitting on the sidestand until full mark of the sight glass. The old oil was still coffee color, I put in fresh Mobil 1, new oil filter, filled to proper level.
Flush the brake fluids, front and back, check brake pads, tire pressure.. it rides like a brand new bike now.

Seat turned out to be a Suzuki gel seat, factory accessory for the Katana, pretty neat shape and comfy for little time I've spent riding on it.

Last edited by "K"; 05-07-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Old 05-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
Circuitmage
Katrider

So, now I just realized (after 16 years) the dealer screwed me. My OG 98 600 was supposed to have gel seat. I assumed it looked like the normal one but didn't know better.

Wow.

Nice clean up.
Circuitmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
"K"
Knee Dragger

Working on a stock like like this is straight forward, makes me appreciate the PO keeping it unmolested.
Sometimes I wish some of the newer bikes are as easy to work on, but with all the specific diagnostic tools and computers required like cars. Good thing these old GSXR engines are rock solid and plenty of parts/upgrades available.
Maybe I will keep this one around for bit.. make my commute between PHilly & NYC little more entertaining and keep the Ninja 250 in NYC jaunts..
Old 05-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
Sie
Skid Mark

Hello and thanks for the forum. I recently got a time capsule Kat myself, 01 600 with 1200 miles on it. This forum has been very helpful to me and probably saved my life I didn't even think about the fact that the tires on my bike ,although new looking are nearly 15 years old. This is my first street bike and I have to use your guys experience to learn from since I don't even know another bike rider near me. Thanks
Sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
"K"
Knee Dragger

Does your 01 Kat run properly? brake fluids look decent? fork seals intact? leak any fluids?
15 y-o tires are not totally useless, I'd spend few hours in an empty parking lot just to learn the limits of those tires. As long as you ride well within those limits, those tires can still get you through a few rides.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:25 AM   #17
Sie
Skid Mark

Thanks for the reply. I wound up replacing the tires today and had the bike looked over at the shop. $400.00 is money well spent for the peice of mind for this inexperienced rider.
Sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #18
Lykkan
Knee Dragger

eBay ID: Lykkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sie View Post
$400.00 is money well spent for the peice of mind for this inexperienced rider.
Ahmen

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually
Lykkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #19
"K"
Knee Dragger

Well, IMO the smart thing to do is to spend time in an empty parking lot to learn the limits of the tires, new or old.

I did with mine, that's just under 20 min.:

Old 05-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #20
Lykkan
Knee Dragger

eBay ID: Lykkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by "K" View Post
Well, IMO the smart thing to do is to spend time in an empty parking lot to learn the limits of the tires, new or old.

I did with mine, that's just under 20 min.:
Those stock tires? Mine has 4500 miles with stockies lol. I'm going to run them until either hurricane season or winter.
Love your bike, love the color too. I always loved those red/reddish/gray bottom'd bikes. Good find!
Lykkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Pics and Flicks