Katana of the Month - November 2007  teddy

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Pics and Flicks

Pics and Flicks Share your motorcycle pics and videos here.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
"K"
Knee Dragger

Cool Time capsule Katana

Just picked up this 99 Katana 750, been sitting on its center stand since 2005 until recently, 7900 mi. on odometer.

PO's son cleaned out the tank and ran it around the block, low sides it in the first corner on the right.

Engine idles like a bag of rocks rattling around.. not sure if it is the cam chain tensioner or the valves.. any ideas?
"K" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Purplehaze
Knee Dragger

Definitely pop off that valve cover and check the cam chain tensioner, valves and chain are within limits.

After sitting for that long you might also want to check most of the fluids, chain for wear, brakes for functionality, fork seals/fluid, tires for flatspots/dry-rotting etc etc.
Purplehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
cintidude04
Kat Legend

eBay ID: cintidude04

Likely need to clean the carbs as well (they are likely part of the crap idle problem), replace brake lines and fluid. Replace those tires entirely, flat spots or not. Rubber hardens over time, and those tires are minimum of 10 years old.
http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04
cintidude04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
"K"
Knee Dragger

Engine purrs nicely above 2k rpm, a little surging w/constant throttle around 5-6k rpm, probably because I put 1/2 can of Seafoam mixed w/fresh fuel.

Anything below 1.5k rpm the engine sounds like a bag of rocks.. choke off=engine dies...
maybe give the Seafoam 24 hours to work its magic.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Purplehaze
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by "K" View Post
Engine purrs nicely above 2k rpm, a little surging w/constant throttle around 5-6k rpm, probably because I put 1/2 can of Seafoam mixed w/fresh fuel.

Anything below 1.5k rpm the engine sounds like a bag of rocks.. choke off=engine dies...
maybe give the Seafoam 24 hours to work its magic.
If you're hearing excessive noise from the engine, it's the valves. An adjustment isn't truly hard, I've made a awesome write-up on it and your adjustment is locknut so it's even easier.

I don't know how else to say this so I'm just going to be blunt -- that seafoam may do wonders I agree but it won't do jack **** for your situation. Assuming the carbs sat (they have), wern't drained (seems they wern't) the reason it won't idle is because your pilot circuit is gummed up. The hesitation around 5-6k might be from a diaphragm spring sticking a bit (gummed up, once again. Download and follow Carbs 102, inspect everything for proper operation and be sure to dip them for 24 hours each and use compressed air and carb cleaner. There's not getting around that last bit and you won't have to ask me how I know because I tried it back when I was a carb noobie.

As with any vehicle that sits for that long a time, it'll need a basic tune-up before it's truly ready for the road. Working on Kats is incredibly easy, I didn't know anything when I bought my bike.
Purplehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
"K"
Knee Dragger

Anyone know what kind of seat that is? Doesn't look like OEM seat, definately not a Corbin...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
shpielers
Kat Master

Sargent?
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
elsueco
Katrider

I was wondering about the seat too. I like the style. Nice looking bike.

If it were me, I'd do new fork oil, spark plugs, and maybe air filter in addition to the valve/cam check, carb clean/sync, oil change, and tires (Pilot Road 4). What condition are the chain and sprockets in after all those years?

Looks like a great bike in need of just a bit of polish.
elsueco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
"K"
Knee Dragger

Seafoam is working, engine idles longer w/choke off now.. smoother low rpm, less surging.
I bled the brakes, now the levers are not as soft and spongy.

I will put a bit of Seafoam in the crankcase and run it a few miles before changing the oil.
Wait until valve cover gasket gets here before checking into the valves and cct.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
shpielers
Kat Master

Exclamation

I've done the seafoam in the crankcase on a car, never on a bike. Was always worried about that screwing with the clutch plates. If you do it, I'd be interested in knowing if it does/doesn't effect them. I've got an old 92 1100 that I'm sure has a lot of sludge that an oil flush just won't get.
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Pics and Flicks