Ride In Peace Marc

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki GSXF 650 Talk

Suzuki GSXF 650 Talk A little corner of katriders for the new GSXF 650s.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
crazycraven420
Kat Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPDL6290 View Post
In addition, I changed my brake pads for the rear and my mechanic told me just to keep riding the bike in order for the pads to match the grooves on the old rotors. Is this also true? Any suggestions?
post a pic. It depends on how drastic the grooves are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenpixies View Post
I've always had a similar issue. I have to put the choke on full and also give the throttle a little rev to get the rpms up. If I put the choke on full and try to start with no throttle, it starts than stalls out right away. Once the engine is warm and been running, I can start the bike without choke or throttle. But if its a cold start it always requires choke and little throttle to keep it from stalling.

Does that sound like same type of carbs leaking gas issue as OP is having? I haven't had carbs worked on since I bought the bike 5 years ago, so it obviously in need of a tune up. But it has been like that since I bought the bike, and i've read that Katanas don't like starting cold anyways so I always just dealt with it.
I havnt used my choke since I got my rebuilt carbs from arsenic, new plug wires etc. Thats been in 35-40 degree weather first thing in the morning. It was a bit rich at first until I turned my a/f screws to 2 turns but even now I have yet to need it. An im not talking about sitting there cranking it til it starts either, maybe one or 2 seconds MAX and shes idling. Good spark an clean carbs do justice. Prior to carbs an plugs an wires it was full choke an 2 sometimes 3 crank attemps an she still wouldn't idle, id have to hold the throttle to keep her running

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Last edited by crazycraven420; 10-02-2013 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
crazycraven420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
registermailac
Skid Mark

This is normal because it's too cold. Just tune the gas.
registermailac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
DeltaFunk0
Skid Mark

Default 2003 Katana

My problem sounds somewhat similar. I just brought a 2003 Katana out of storage. I'm not mechanically inclined (city boy). The bike ran fine when I got it out of storage. I drove it back to my house, went inside, ate a PB&J, then started it and drove it again. The next morning, it would not start. It runs for 2 to 3 seconds, then the RPMs drop until the bike eventually stalls. Giving it throttle seems to have no effect, and if anything, makes it stall faster. The oil light also comes on. I changed the oil and oil filter, with no change in results.

Is it possible that the engine starts, but then the fuel flow is too slow to keep it going? I did notice that the bike starts better with the petcock set to prime. If I were to guess, with all the wisdom I've attained on the Internet, this could be bad gas (91 octane, BTW), cruddy fuel tank or fuel filter, or dirty carb. I wouldn't mind doing these things myself but alas, I live in an apartment. No garage or space to do this in. Have to suck it up and pay someone to do it.
DeltaFunk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

It could be as simple as an issue with the vacuum line for the petcock. Do you have a friend who would be willing to let you borrow their driveway or garage for a short "project". Honestly, most of the possible other issues would generally be quick to fix, with the exception of doing a full cleaning on the carbs.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
numus
Tank Slapper

eBay ID: numus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFunk0 View Post
My problem sounds somewhat similar. I just brought a 2003 Katana out of storage. I'm not mechanically inclined (city boy). The bike ran fine when I got it out of storage. I drove it back to my house, went inside, ate a PB&J, then started it and drove it again. The next morning, it would not start. It runs for 2 to 3 seconds, then the RPMs drop until the bike eventually stalls. Giving it throttle seems to have no effect, and if anything, makes it stall faster. The oil light also comes on. I changed the oil and oil filter, with no change in results.

Is it possible that the engine starts, but then the fuel flow is too slow to keep it going? I did notice that the bike starts better with the petcock set to prime. If I were to guess, with all the wisdom I've attained on the Internet, this could be bad gas (91 octane, BTW), cruddy fuel tank or fuel filter, or dirty carb. I wouldn't mind doing these things myself but alas, I live in an apartment. No garage or space to do this in. Have to suck it up and pay someone to do it.
My bike did roughly the same thing sometimes. Turned out the fuel filter melted and was leaking out (introducing Air into the fuel line).
numus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #16
konigralph
Chicken Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by numus View Post
My bike did roughly the same thing sometimes. Turned out the fuel filter melted and was leaking out (introducing Air into the fuel line).
saved for later
konigralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki GSXF 650 Talk