X

17 inch wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 inch wheels

Hey all whats going on? I wanna do the 17 inch wheel swap for my 90 1100 to get a better choice of tires, and i came across this on ebay.

Should i assume that these wheels and rotors would work? Thanks in advance
    craig
    1996 katana 750 (sold to my friend)
    1990 katana 1100

its a good buy

Comment

Originally posted by bbsf2 View Post
      Hey all whats going on? I wanna do the 17 inch wheel swap for my 90 1100 to get a better choice of tires, and i came across this on ebay.

Should i assume that these wheels and rotors would work? Thanks in advance
      craig
      The rims should work for you. The rotor on the rear GSXR is going to be a 240 OD, I believe your Kat is a 220 OD. If you stick with your Kat rotor, you will have to space it out a few mm from the wheel so the caliper does not hit the GSXR wheel in rotation. I would suggest getting the GSXR brake bracket instead and use the 240 OD rotor for the GSXR.

Also the bearings for the front wheel are different. You may have to purchase a different bearing for the swap...

GSXR front wheel bearings are both sides 20X47X14
      Kat 1100 front wheel bearings are one side 17X42X13, and the other side is 17X47X14.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

alright thanks alot!! I am still deciding if I feel like diving into this swap, considering the Kat was made around 16 inch wheels for a reason.
        craig
        1990 katana 1100

Comment

I was told that the easiest way to do the front is to swap out forks and calipers, along with the rim. That way, you just have to run and connect your brakelines. He could not get in the details about the rear set up. It does seem like someone was telling me that it's better if you can do the swingarm as well.

just somethings I heard ...... good luck and if you do the swap, you gotta put up pics and post some of the details.
          The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

gsxr forks,triples etc..

The reason it was made around 16" rims was to lower the center of gravity of the bike...I kept the 16's and lowered it 1 1/2" in the front it feels more stable to me now Im running avon venom tires
            1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
            2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
            sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
            Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
            A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

These are my notes that I am reposting, the ebay link does not work anymore but I thought the 1992 GSXR 600 was liquid cooled, so the rear sprocket spacer might not line up.

Stick with something from an air/oil cooled bike if you can, Like an RF900 or 88-92 GSXR1100, or most Bandits. The Kat 750s and 600 models can work, all of the front rims are the same just make sure the rear is wide enought for a 180 tire. IE 5" or larger.

The front wheel:
              If you get rims from something with a fat axle you will have to change the bearings to accept the skinny Katana axle. Grab the spedo hook up if you can, however I think the stock Katana hookup can be made to keep out dirt and road grime.
              The front brake rotors from a Katana 1100 will not fit on a 17" rim, so you will most likely need to make an adapter plate out of 1/4" plate steel for the calipers to match the rotors on the 17" rim. I have not found anything that hooks directly up.

The rear wheel: Make sure it is at least 5" wide and the 180/55/17 tires fit perfectly.
              They will bolt right up,(remember to use an oil cooled bike here!) make sure you get the caliper carrier that came off the donor cycle because that has to match the rear rotor diameter. A rear caliper from the old Kat 600s 88-95 I think should bolt into the stock location to the new caliper carrier.

I hope this helps, there is a buffet of parts to chose from and your bike will handle so much better after the upgrade.
              01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayabusa View Post
                These are my notes that I am reposting, the ebay link does not work anymore but I thought the 1992 GSXR 600 was liquid cooled, so the rear sprocket spacer might not line up.

Stick with something from an air/oil cooled bike if you can, Like an RF900 or 88-92 GSXR1100, or most Bandits. The Kat 750s and 600 models can work, all of the front rims are the same just make sure the rear is wide enought for a 180 tire. IE 5" or larger.

The front wheel:
                If you get rims from something with a fat axle you will have to change the bearings to accept the skinny Katana axle. Grab the spedo hook up if you can, however I think the stock Katana hookup can be made to keep out dirt and road grime.
                The front brake rotors from a Katana 1100 will not fit on a 17" rim, so you will most likely need to make an adapter plate out of 1/4" plate steel for the calipers to match the rotors on the 17" rim. I have not found anything that hooks directly up.

The rear wheel: Make sure it is at least 5" wide and the 180/55/17 tires fit perfectly.
                They will bolt right up,(remember to use an oil cooled bike here!) make sure you get the caliper carrier that came off the donor cycle because that has to match the rear rotor diameter. A rear caliper from the old Kat 600s 88-95 I think should bolt into the stock location to the new caliper carrier.

I hope this helps, there is a buffet of parts to chose from and your bike will handle so much better after the upgrade.

Thanks!! I am still debating on what I want to do. Ill make my mind up sooner or later
                craig
                1990 katana 1100

Comment

Well it looks like im going to be able to lay my hands on a 1990 gsxr 750 rear wheel and be able to see if it fits before I buy it. Hopefully i will be able to do it sometime this weekend. I will keep everyone updated
                  craig
                  1990 katana 1100

Comment

Originally posted by bbsf2 View Post
                    Well it looks like im going to be able to lay my hands on a 1990 gsxr 750 rear wheel and be able to see if it fits before I buy it. Hopefully i will be able to do it sometime this weekend. I will keep everyone updated
                    craig
                    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Check out Krey's setup its sweet I use it for inspiration to do it to my 1100 one day..lol seriously looks badass
                      1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
                      2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
                      sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
                      Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
                      A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

Comment

I found this one on the net but it didn't have any other pic angles or any of the mod info. However, I am thinking that those rims are off a Gixxer. That does look a lot like the Katana swingarm, too. Doesn't look to be a lot of clearance between tire and swingarm from that angle ....

Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 02-27-2009, 07:07 PM.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
                            I found this one on the net but it didn't have any other pic angles or any of the mod info. However, I am thinking that those rims are off a Gixxer. That does look a lot like the Katana swingarm, too. Doesn't look to be a lot of clearance between tire and swingarm from that angle ....

I would love to know what front brake rotor and caliper this guy used. Front brakes are the only missing piece to my easy 17" upgrade notes.
                            01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayabusa View Post
                              I would love to know what front brake rotor and caliper this guy used. Front brakes are the only missing piece to my easy 17" upgrade notes.
                              I think he used the entire front-end; wheel, brakes, fork tubes, calipers, maybe the triple-tree if the fork tube won't work with the stock one. I'm thinking that a late 80s early 90s GXSR 750 or 1100 would be a good place to start for donor bikes. That rear-end from those models may bolt up as well for the rear 17' conversion. I've looked around at a couple "boneyards" and have come to the conclusion that a front-end "R & R" would be the most painless proceedure.

just my .02
                              Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 03-02-2009, 06:59 PM.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
                              X