X

Throttle only turns about 1/4 inch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle only turns about 1/4 inch

Sup ya'll, well I sold my Kat to a buddy of mine a few weeks ago and before he bought it, it sat for a few months. Well he called me up this morning to ask if I had put some kind of limiter on it. He said that ever since he's baught it the throttle grip only spins about a 1/4 inch and he said the bike won't go past 86mph in 6th. Anyone know what could be causing the throttle to not twist?
    Jealousy Is Natural

improper cable routing?? did you or he have the throttle cable off for any reason?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

following with that idea...i'd check at the carbs to see if the throttle cable was adjusted properly... or... it could be a very corroded cable, you could try shooting some WD-40 down the cable shaft (worked for my clutch which was very stiff at first)
      -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

You could just tell him that your not supposed to go 86 mph

I'd check the cable as well.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

yeah i told him to check the cable and he said he did and said it looked good.
          Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Well, the Flux Capacitator will kick in at Exactly 88 MPH Marty. But tell him to remove the tank (His first learning project) and tell him to twist the throttle while looking at the carb. Tell him "See the little peice in the center that moves when he moves the throttle?" When he says yes, tell him to push that same peice in the same direction it was travelling when the throttle was turned. So he knows thats moving ok. Then tell him to twitst the throttle harder if it did move more with the finger pressure. It might be that the throttle cable just started to fray. Its possible theres a loose bit of frayed cable grabbing the inner sheath. If the throttle plates under finger pressure wont move beyond the throttle twist, then theres something else wrong.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

What year is the bike? It might be that the cable is binding in the housing.

Tell him to pull the tank off, and see if he can rotate it at the carb end to WOT.

I thought that the choke cable on Kristin's bike was improperly adjusted.... and when I looked at it finally I realized that it had frozen.... a "scratch" on the routing had rusted and held the cable fast.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                Well, the Flux Capacitator will kick in at Exactly 88 MPH Marty.
                beat me to it

Comment

He found the problem. The throttle cable was rusted to the side of the housing, he said he sprayed it with WD-40 and he said it works perfect now.
                  Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                    He found the problem. The throttle cable was rusted to the side of the housing, he said he sprayed it with WD-40 and he said it works perfect now.

I would replace the cable.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      i was thinking the same thing, but its his bike now, i'll probably suggest it to him the next time I talk to him.
                      Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                        +1 Dont need to add more.
                        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                        X