X

Is 1.5in muffler to small for my katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 1.5in muffler to small for my katana 600

When I bought my bike it had no muffler so I proceeded to turn it into a 4-1 exhaust. The y-pipe part is 2in but I have 1.5in perforated exhaust pipe that I would make a muffler out of. So my question is that too small or should I get a 2in one?

I'd just buy a used one off ebay. You could run in to tuning problems with incorrect exhaust. Thats why they recommend jet kits when increasing exhaust flow with bigger pipes. If 1.5 is too small it could possibly run rich/foul plugs/ build excessive carbon in the cylinders/premature engine failure.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

What? It's a mid-pipe size issue and not all that much. Yes, you will need a jet kit. I have to agree that a real bike can would be better than the thing your going to rig to your bike.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Trust me if I could I would get myself a real bike but need to save money for my supra build.
        I bought this bike for $600 that was in rough shape like no mufflers and missing fairings, I thought I paid ok on it but now think I paid too much.
        I also do plan on getting jet kit.

Comment

Your making this harder and more dramatic than it really is. Call it a $700 bike now and get this $100 exhaust ! $600 for a Katana is a great deal. Don't be like most douche bags out there and under estimate Kats before you even give it a chance to live. You'll get years of service out of the thing for a fraction of the cost of what your going to spend on that Supra.

EDIT: Depending on your experience or commitment to own a bike, you should know that your eventually going to have to spend more money. Mine doesn't like being left out in the rain, so I bought a cover. Anyway, If your serious about keeping the bike you'll probably want to go ahead and buy a center stand if it doesn't already have one. The center stand requires removing the exhaust to mount it. Since your already at that point, might as well. That way you can change your back tire and adjust the chain if necessary. Try to get all the bolts and springs with one if you can, or you can just buy those separate.

Last edited by katanarider; 06-20-2016, 08:41 AM.
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Cool thanks, guess should of jump on ebay and bought 1 in the first place. But no I was thinking $600 was too much after that I found out it needed new gears and forks in the transmission. It has been a good bike it's just I'm bored how it looks now so I'm kinda trying to do some custom stuff to try and make it look nice in my eyes.
            Thats why I'm also thinking of making it a streetfighter kinda like the black ops build the guy did on here.
            I'll have to post a picture if I find one of what it look like when I bought it.

Comment

Working...
            X