X

Thoughts On Fog Lights Mounted to forks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts On Fog Lights Mounted to forks

Hey guys, new to bikes and not sure what is considered "Pep Shop mods" or good mods for bike just yet. Came across lights that mount to the front forks and thought to myself that it looks kind of cool. More lighting couldn't hurt with night riding. But I don't want to look like a "Ricer" to the bike community. What are your thoughts for fog lights mounted to the forks and has anyone got them on their Kats?

Originally posted by MotorBikeMike View Post
    Hey guys, new to bikes and not sure what is considered "Pep Shop mods" or good mods for bike just yet. Came across lights that mount to the front forks and thought to myself that it looks kind of cool. More lighting couldn't hurt with night riding. But I don't want to look like a "Ricer" to the bike community. What are your thoughts for fog lights mounted to the forks and has anyone got them on their Kats?
    I have them on my Yamaha, and will eventually add them to my Katana and Triumph for night-time riding. They are 100% worth it. I have CREE LED lights. Many have described them as F18 landing lights that ride in-front of me. That lets me know that I can be seen. A good feeling!
    '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      I have them on my Yamaha, and will eventually add them to my Katana and Triumph for night-time riding. They are 100% worth it. I have CREE LED lights. Many have described them as F18 landing lights that ride in-front of me. That lets me know that I can be seen. A good feeling!
      Where would you mount them? I guess the forks are the best place, but I could be wrong. I've been known to be wrong before. My wife will verify this...LOL

Comment

Where would you mount them? I guess the forks are the best place, but I could be wrong. I've been known to be wrong before. My wife will verify this...LOL
        I've mounted them to the bottom of the forks. The options are endless with access to material and machining tools.

'92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

I used 15w cree LED spot lights positioned off the mirror mounts. The higher position means better penetration down the road, earlier sighting by on-coming traffic and potentially longer life as they are mounted above the working suspension and further away from road debris. I wired them through a switch and relays to function as DRLs in lieu of the headlights being on while running in the country in daylight hours, or as spot lights to come on with high beam at night.

The "spot" beam on cheap Epistar and midrange Cree LED lights still tends to be a 30* spread. The latest Philips and Osram chips offer a spot beam below 10*, which is what I will fit next time.

Comment

Hmm....Not sure where I would place them. I don't like them up top, however that's the best place to mount them for optimal lighting effect. And down low also poses a problem with vibration of not being above the suspension. Finding a location that's clean (minimal exposed wiring), effective (lighting performance) and looks good will be a challenge it appears.

Comment

Hmm....Not sure where I would place them. I don't like them up top, however that's the best place to mount them for optimal lighting effect. And down low also poses a problem with vibration of not being above the suspension. Finding a location that's clean (minimal exposed wiring), effective (lighting performance) and looks good will be a challenge it appears.
              It depends on your purpose of the lighting. I have a TruckLite LED headlight on my bike. The problem was, directly below the headlight, and to the right and left of the tire, it was dark. My solution was to illuminate this area by having the lights down low, in that area. Problem solved! Plus, if the lights are bright enough (as mine are), visibility of the lights will never be an issue, as it does not matter where they are placed, they WILL be seen!
              '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

They definitely make the bikes I've seen running then at night MUCH more visible. Riding behind or next to bikes with them, the road is a lot easier to see. Not sure about placement, but seems like a good idea. If you mount LEDs, aren't they more or less impervious to vibrations? So shouldn't matter if they are below the suspended bits...
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

On the post kats (you have an 02 750 right?...) ...

I've always thought that it would be cool to mod the stock turn signal locations by removing the lenses... modding the hole, and mounting in lights there. It would be simple to make a couple of ABS covers to blend the whole mod into a smooth transition and cover the lights.

Then using mirrors with turn signals integrated into them.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                    If you mount LEDs, aren't they more or less impervious to vibrations? So shouldn't matter if they are below the suspended bits...
                    A good LED chip itself should be vibration / shock proof. It's more the surrounding hardware I'd worry about, especially given the weight. But height also reduces the risk of impact and adds visibility ... both directions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      On the post kats (you have an 02 750 right?...) ...

I've always thought that it would be cool to mod the stock turn signal locations by removing the lenses... modding the hole, and mounting in lights there. It would be simple to make a couple of ABS covers to blend the whole mod into a smooth transition and cover the lights.

Then using mirrors with turn signals integrated into them.

Krey

I thought of this too....after I already bought new clear smoked turn signal lenses and repaired all the fairings. I wish I would have had the foresight in doing this. Could look real good with the right housings....Ah well!!

Comment

I thought of this too....after I already bought new clear smoked turn signal lenses and repaired all the fairings. I wish I would have had the foresight in doing this. Could look real good with the right housings....Ah well!!
                        Curious what lights you would use, though. I spent some time looking but didn't really find anything the right size...

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/CREE-Driving-L.../dp/B00LHFCSZW is just one option...

Search google for 2" fog lights.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            http://www.amazon.com/CREE-Driving-L.../dp/B00LHFCSZW is just one option...

Search google for 2" fog lights.

Krey

Comment

Working...
                            X