X

Swingarm Question?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swingarm Question?

So I am deciding if I should sell my 92 kat 600 or keep it. The reason why is that I kinda look funny on the bike with a small tire, but that not reason why the real reason is that I kinda want a fatter tire in back for I could take the corners a little better in canyons. I been searching on the site for a upgrade on the swingarm but I cant find it yet. I am trying to see if I could up grade this bike or just sell it. What do you think? Be nice on your comments.

Originally posted by da91teg View Post
    I kinda want a fatter tire in back for I could take the corners a little better in canyons. I been searching on the site for a upgrade on the swingarm but I cant find it yet. I am trying to see if I could up grade this bike or just sell it. What do you think? Be nice on your comments.

Physics says no.

Get the best tyre you can afford that will fit your rim and riding style. All this fat tyre thing is nonsense - it will not help you corner! Look at all those cruisers with tyres wider than the frame that need three lanes to take a right lol

Comment

The short answer is no, there isn't a direct swap.

The long answer is how much do you want to spend?

The best option is to contact Kreylyn, he produces a very nice widened arm that you can run a 5" rim on.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
        Physics says no.

Get the best tyre you can afford that will fit your rim and riding style. All this fat tyre thing is nonsense - it will not help you corner! Look at all those cruisers with tyres wider than the frame that need three lanes to take a right lol
        Yes your right about buying a good tire but i wasn't talking about a 300 tire in the rear.:bunny2 but more like a 180 or 190.

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
        The short answer is no, there isn't a direct swap.

The long answer is how much do you want to spend?

The best option is to contact Kreylyn, he produces a very nice widened arm that you can run a 5" rim on.
        well i dont want to go bankrupt just broke!
        Last edited by da91teg; 06-27-2013, 12:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Post rim swap allows u to run a 4.5" rim and 170 tire that's what I have currently. Just need the hub drive, post rim brake rotor and rim. U use a bottle jack to spread the stock swingarm like .75" and it swaps right in. A 170 rear tire requires u to mod the brake arm where as the 150-160 tire I believe does not. The 170 tire is significantly larger than the 140 I had on mine. Cost me 75$ for the rim, 30$ for the hub setup and 60$ for a new aftermarket rotor. Took me 1 hour to mod the brake arm and weld it all up.

180-190 tire will not dip in as fast on turn as a 140 or 150 tire depending on rim width. U need to match the right tire to the rim.
          1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
          fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
          55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
          R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
          Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
            Post rim swap allows u to run a 4.5" rim and 170 tire that's what I have currently. Just need the hub drive, post rim brake rotor and rim. U use a bottle jack to spread the stock swingarm like .75" and it swaps right in. A 170 rear tire requires u to mod the brake arm where as the 150-160 tire I believe does not. The 170 tire is significantly larger than the 140 I had on mine. Cost me 75$ for the rim, 30$ for the hub setup and 60$ for a new aftermarket rotor. Took me 1 hour to mod the brake arm and weld it all up.

180-190 tire will not dip in as fast on turn as a 140 or 150 tire depending on rim width. U need to match the right tire to the rim.
            Huh that sound pretty simple what about the sprocket and the chain are they the same?

I was also thinking about replace the front forks with the busa forks, but i keep reading that it changes the bike geometry is true? Also does the rear of a busa swingarm fit on 90's Kat
            Last edited by da91teg; 06-28-2013, 12:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Huh that sound pretty simple what about the sprocket and the chain are they the same?

I was also thinking about replace the front forks with the busa forks, but i keep reading that it changes the bike geometry is true? Also does the rear of a busa swingarm fit on 90's Kat
              Yes the right year Busa forks will bolt up.. you will need the complete front end. It's far more cost effective to rebuilt your forks, add new springs and emulators to suit your weight. I have gsxr USD's on my kat and they still need different springs, simply adding UDS forks will not cure your suspension issues, it's an improvement but not always ideal.

As for the busa swing arm, again..

The short answer is no, it isn't a direct swap.

The long answer is how much do you want to spend to make it fit?

Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to get you the info you need.
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Any SS swingarm or HS swingarm is going to widen too quickly, and require you to modify the subframe for clearance. In addition you will need custom parts machined or the swingarm machined to match the pivot bolt size, and the width of the swingarm to the kat frame.

There was a recent build thread where someone put the busa arm on with out the mods to sub frame, pretty obvious that the bike to not be hitting was sitting way way high in the rear, and the swingarm would still hit with any real use of the bike.

I just recently did a bike build for a member, putting his post wheels onto a pre 600 bike. Fitting the 4.5" rim with a 160 tire was simple enough, and the mods needed were just some simple bending. The arms needed to be spred wider a tad, and the brake arm needed to be bent more for clearance. After checking the clearances, it's not a good idea to run a tire that is physically wider.

I state physically wider because how the tire mounts on the rim will change it's profile and change the actual measurement of total width.

The 160/60 on a 4.5" rim puts you at minimal clearance suggested.

I do make modified Katana swingarms that are direct bolt in options for the most part. You still need to paint them. Avg cost around $300 before you start buying other parts (wheels, spacers, axles) to get a larger setup.

I don't have a problem with turn in... jus sayn.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yes it's that simple. Chain and sprockets are the same. U just need the post rim and hub. Then get a new brake rotor and pads for the rear. Cut, bend and weld the rear brake arm and cut/weld the mount on the swing arm for the brake arm. Put a bottle jack in the swing arm and bend it out a smidge. Chain length is not affected unless u change sprocket size or wheel distance from sprocket to sprocket.

If u really want to go larger like a 180 or 190 tire than Krey is ur best bet.

Axles and sprockets and such are all the same on pre and post wheels. It's just the hub is slightly different and the brake rotor is different. Even the caliper
                  Mount fits and all the stock spacers.
                  Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                  fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                  55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                  R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                  Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                    Yes the right year Busa forks will bolt up.. you will need the complete front end. It's far more cost effective to rebuilt your forks, add new springs and emulators to suit your weight. I have gsxr USD's on my kat and they still need different springs, simply adding UDS forks will not cure your suspension issues, it's an improvement but not always ideal.

As for the busa swing arm, again..

The short answer is no, it isn't a direct swap.

The long answer is how much do you want to spend to make it fit?

Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to get you the info you need.
                    Belive me i rather let you rain on me then doing it the wrong way.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Any SS swingarm or HS swingarm is going to widen too quickly, and require you to modify the subframe for clearance. In addition you will need custom parts machined or the swingarm machined to match the pivot bolt size, and the width of the swingarm to the kat frame.

There was a recent build thread where someone put the busa arm on with out the mods to sub frame, pretty obvious that the bike to not be hitting was sitting way way high in the rear, and the swingarm would still hit with any real use of the bike.

I just recently did a bike build for a member, putting his post wheels onto a pre 600 bike. Fitting the 4.5" rim with a 160 tire was simple enough, and the mods needed were just some simple bending. The arms needed to be spred wider a tad, and the brake arm needed to be bent more for clearance. After checking the clearances, it's not a good idea to run a tire that is physically wider.

I state physically wider because how the tire mounts on the rim will change it's profile and change the actual measurement of total width.

The 160/60 on a 4.5" rim puts you at minimal clearance suggested.

I do make modified Katana swingarms that are direct bolt in options for the most part. You still need to paint them. Avg cost around $300 before you start buying other parts (wheels, spacers, axles) to get a larger setup.

Krey

Besides (wheel, Spacer, axles) what else would i need to replace if say i buy your custom swingarm? 300 bucks sound pretty good to me. With your custom swingarm could i fit in a 5" rim, right? as for tire i was looking at 180/60/17

Yeah true! but that does not look like a 140 tire to me. lol.
                    Last edited by da91teg; 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Besides (wheel, Spacer, axles) what else would i need to replace if say i buy your custom swingarm? 300 bucks sound pretty good to me. With your custom swingarm could i fit in a 5" rim, right? as for tire i was looking at 180/60/17
                      Generally speaking, in addition to the swingarm, you will need...

Axle, spacers, Caliper bracket, Wheel, Carrier, Sprocket, Rotor, and possibly the chain and brake line.

You do not need to swap calipers.

Yeah true! but that does not look like a 140 tire to me. lol.
                      I'm running a 180/55 on a curved spoke 5.5" GSXR 750/1100 rim from 90-92.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Generally speaking, in addition to the swingarm, you will need...

Axle, spacers, Caliper bracket, Wheel, Carrier, Sprocket, Rotor, and possibly the chain and brake line.

You do not need to swap calipers.

I'm running a 180/55 on a curved spoke 5.5" GSXR 750/1100 rim from 90-92.

Krey
                        You sir have deal! I will contact you when the summer is done or even sooner. I want to do all the work during winter time. I just need to figure out what year and what model parts you mention. A 5.5 rim with a 180/55 sound really good.
                        How long would it take you to make a custom swingarm?

Now i just need to figure what to do with the front forks????

Comment

You sir have deal! I will contact you when the summer is done or even sooner. I want to do all the work during winter time. I just need to figure out what year and what model parts you mention. A 5.5 rim with a 180/55 sound really good.
                          How long would it take you to make a custom swingarm?

Now i just need to figure what to do with the front forks????

PM me and we can discuss details like wheel options and such. I can break it down so you know exactly what parts to buy depending on your preferences.

For the front end that's simple... Racetech parts.. new springs, emulators, and fresh seals/oil. You simply won't believe the difference that makes.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

hi , i want t know where did you get your spacers and the shaft for your rear wheel ??

Comment

can you please tell me where or how i can buy the spacers and the axle ??? i already have a wheel and the swingarm , please inbox me to find out !! thank you very much !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X