X

05 gsx750f (katana in US) which wiring loom/cdi

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 gsx750f (katana in US) which wiring loom/cdi

Am building a modern cafe racer based on a Gsxr 750 m, well thats not strictly true, the only M part is the frame so I'll call that my base of the build.

The bike's going to have no lights MOT so no indicators, head lamp etc, just need a horn to make it road legal. Not very practical, but I've always wanted a bare bones bike, just two wheels and an engine, a race bike on the road....well sort of.

Right this is where I hope you can help.

I have just had an offer on a 05 Gsx750f engine accepted, low mileage and looks pretty clean, £300 delivered, not sure if thats good or not but there are plenty of much older engines for not much less so that will do for me.

So engine sorted, but what electrics.

I want to use the electric speedo pickup to run Gsxr k series clocks. As long as I have oil, neutral, rev and speedo I'll be happy, anybody fitted these or similar, anything to look out for or any particular years more difficult than others?

Wiring loom..Now i really don't need much of this but the ignition, charge (may even go total loss once up and running) and speed sensor circuit have to work.
    05 loom and cdi has tps, can I just disconnect the wires feeding into the cdi from the sensor or will this cause running issues. If a different cdi is required which year or years would suit the motor <97? Would it just plug in and play? If I also need to run an earlier wiring loom will it have wiring for electronic speedo pick-up or is this a separate loom fitted to later bikes.
    I dont expect anyone to post a how to on my next question but has anyone hard wired the ignition (ignition switch not required as I've a home made remote, of sorts) the clutch and sidestand switches wont be used, which wires need to be soldiered together to fool the cdi into thinking everythings ok
    Can I make a sub loom for the ignition (cdi, pic-ups and coils) to run with just a live from the battery and take a signal for the rev counter directly from the cdi/coil?
    Any help or advice muchly appreciated
    When I want your opinion I'll tell you it!!!!!

Help.....please

Comment

You will have to go through the wiring diagram for all that removal. The TPS is for ignition advance, your bike will run without it connected but why remove it?
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

My only concern, and I've not verified it myself but...

It's been stated and many individuals have had "issues" that backed up the post kats have ignition switches that require a specific resistance before the ICM will fire the coil signals. This is an reported as an anti theft deterrant, as it prevents being able to just "hotwire" or bypass the switch.

Your results may vary, but that would be the first thing I verified.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          You will have to go through the wiring diagram for all that removal. The TPS is for ignition advance, your bike will run without it connected but why remove it?
          Hi
          The idea of running without tps is so I can use as little of the loom as possible. If the bike had good old points, capacitor and coil I'd be tempted to use a zener diode and a heat sink to do away with the wiring loom all together.
          Second reason for wanting to remove tps is to be able to fit the 36mm carbs from the 88/89 (uk) Gsxr750, tps wasn't even thought of then so it certainly wont be of much use to me other than causing confusion if I leave it in place.
          The third reason is because I can

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          My only concern, and I've not verified it myself but...

It's been stated and many individuals have had "issues" that backed up the post kats have ignition switches that require a specific resistance before the ICM will fire the coil signals. This is an reported as an anti theft deterrant, as it prevents being able to just "hotwire" or bypass the switch.

Your results may vary, but that would be the first thing I verified.

Krey
          If I cant find the relevant information on bypassing the switch I may use the internals out of the barrel, leaving the circuit permanently live (the remote switch will cut power from the battery)
          There will be room under the fuel tank to hide the wiring so even if it looks a little heath robinson it wouldn't be visible, could even tape it into the existing loom, or what's left of it.
          Now you may think this all pointless but have you ever thought about running a bare bones bike. No frills, just an engine, wheels, brakes and something to hold them all together....what more do you need!!!!
          Last edited by jarvis; 12-19-2012, 11:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

hi

hi from a fellow brit.gsx750f an zx9e1 owner

Comment

Working...
            X