Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

trading my chevelle for a bike..maybe...advise?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trading my chevelle for a bike..maybe...advise?

I need alittle advise. I am selling my 69 chevelle project car, which i've had for 9years now. I have been married for 2years and my first (planned)child is coming in sept so i wont be able to affrod my car. OF course i havent driven it in 4yrs anyway.It gets 6mpg and last time i drove it gas was $1.05.

That not being the ONLY reason i dont car anymore , its just time for it to go to someone who can pick up where i left off. Problem is, im having a hard time selling it. The price is right , i believe.I've had 2 people ALMOST buy it..money in hand , come to look at it twice , several phone calls, then back out. With no reason. So i lower price to where its at now. Here is the ad Here

I posted on craigslist as well, but now i want to sell or TRADE for motorcycle. I gave my particulars on what bikes.I've gotten a few emails with POS's or salavaged titles, but today i got one thats very interesting. Although i know nothing about the bike. here is a pic

Here is what the told me in email.
    "Hello

I have an 87 GSXR1100R that will match your Chevelle step for step in old school cool and power. Here is a pic. Let me know if you may be interested. The motor and tranny have under 6K mi. The motor was professionally built with JE 1109 pistons, machined heads, ported, degreed cam. Tranny is five speed with reverse cut gears, for smoother shifting. Everything is polished that can be, Let me know what you think."

Now my question to you guys, since i trust the advise i've gotten from here, is this a good trade? if the bike is legit,clean title and everything. I will be KEEPING the bike and letting my wife ride my kat.

Thanks guys
    " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

don't do it!!!!!!! just my .02
    Hello World.

Comment

dont just say DONT DO IT!! give me reasons man. details.
      " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

man i love that car, if i had the cash id make an offer for it
        03 katanika

Comment

my brother looked at photo..and also said it has the slingshot motor, extended swing arm..everything is polished...aftermarket flatside carbs for bigger displacement pistons. its not a stock bike...i think im going to go ahead with trade.

i will post if i end up getting it..and post some photos.

Comment

I am going to tell you to do it....IN A HEARTBEAT!!
            No offense BK...but I would not give you a grand for that chevelle. what were you thinking...starting to dump $ in a 4 door. no one wants a 4 door.

you would be a freakin' fool not to snag the bike. that is a sweet gixxer. ol' school for sure. you could part it out for maybe more than what your car is worth.

and seriously.....there are only 2 reasons not to get $4500 for a 69 chevelle.
            It is either a real POS rust bucket, or it is a 4 door. so swap for something that is going to hold it's value easier for resale. an old gix like that won't go down in value below it's current value...providing you keep it up to par. that 4 door waste of resources.....be lucky to find someone who wants to dunp cash into that. it is very well possible that no one will want it and it becomes worth more parted out on ebay.
            that gix....it would sell easily on ebay I would imagine.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

i seriously have to wonder why anyone with a nice gix like that would want to trade it off for a half finished car project....(an no offense again)...a 4 door at that.
              is it close enough to go hear it run? i have to wonder if there is something wrong with it.
              all i can say is that if i owned that gix, and you asked me to trade for your car, i would say, "ya...right".

with the price of gas, the work needed to finish the project, and the value afterwards, he would definately take a loss. you are definately getting the better bang for your buck if you trade.

Comment

Ok... I will give my $.02.

I also used to own a 69 Chevelle. Mine was a two door SS396 though. 4 speed, buckets, posi.. the whole deal. I had to part ways with mine due to work needed, no free time to work on it and a growing family also. That is when I bought my current Kat.

You WILL miss the Chevelle. I know I have anyway. But when I start missing it, I just go for a ride, or start looking into how much cheaper it is to mod the Kat (or any bike for that matter). One thing for sure.... you can have a bike that will outrun the Chevelle any day, and still get 30-40 mpg versus 9-10 mpg.

Would I give up my Chevelle for an 1100 GSXR? Probably so. You said yourself you haven't driven the car for about 4 years partly because of gas prices.

Just my opinion.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

no offense taken. i know people dont want 4 doors.When they call about ad in local paper , they hear 4dr and hang up. Well their loss,they dont even know what it looks like. Most htink of a 4 door as one of those grandma cars with full frame doors. Mine is not that. It has no posts and a different body style than normal 4 door.,its 3inches longer than a 2dr by the way.

This car has done 12.7 1/4 mile @ 112mph. Its not a peice of junk..lol. No rust anywhere either. but like i said thats your opinion. There are some people out there who like to be DIFFERENT...and not buy what everyone has(2dr chevelles) oh wait...maybe that could include US with our KATANA'S...alot of people say why waste our money on these things. get a real bike. ponder that.

Comment

nice words Court93Kat...thanks. i miss her now. I almost kept, but then i remember how hard it was to work on and how time consuming. Im glad i dont deal with that anymore. I dont even lik working on my 85 toyota 4x4 lol, but i wont pay someone else to do it , if i can do it myself.

Comment

I am so fickin' jealous. I would like to trade my car off like that...and my car is worth as much as yours.
                      If you don't do it, tell the guy I have a nice little 93 850 glt volvo that I will trade with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                        ... i miss her now. I almost kept.... Im glad i dont deal with that anymore.
                        Is the deal already done? Sounds like you already made the deal.

...I dont even like working on my 85 toyota 4x4 lol, but i wont pay someone else to do it , if i can do it myself.
                        I am the same way :lol REFUSE to pay dealer prices, but would rather spend the day with the kids or riding.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

no offense taken. i know people dont want 4 doors.When they call about ad in local paper , they hear 4dr and hang up. Well their loss,they dont even know what it looks like. Most htink of a 4 door as one of those grandma cars with full frame doors. Mine is not that. It has no posts and a different body style than normal 4 door.,its 3inches longer than a 2dr by the way.

This car has done 12.7 1/4 mile @ 112mph. Its not a peice of junk..lol. No rust anywhere either. but like i said thats your opinion. There are some people out there who like to be DIFFERENT...and not buy what everyone has(2dr chevelles) oh wait...maybe that could include US with our KATANA'S...alot of people say why waste our money on these things. get a real bike. ponder that.
                          I wasn't intentionally putting down your car. I was just being straight and honest. You said it yourself....people hang up when they hear 4 door. So this drastically reduces your odds of getting your price. I have seen some pretty nice 4 doors go for a fraction of what some of their 2 door counterparts go for being all rusted out.
                          hey...you were the one who wanted reasons behind the answers.
                          in a business sense, taking the trade is the wisest move. be realistic....if you want the quick cash flow, you are going to have to settle for $3500...maybe even just $3k for the car....and it might take alot of time to sell.
                          put that bike on ebay...with all those options and if it is up to par....you will get your $3k-3500 within 7 days. I have to believe that gix is worth at least that. if i wanted that model of gixxer, i would give $3500 for it.

Comment

you should check out...

DR350 DR650 DR-Z400 Bandit 1200 Bandit 600 Bandit 1250 Bandit 650 Bandit 250 Bandit 400

The owner has a badass old school GSXR on the front page

...and our own meanstrk is a mod over there

Comment

I used to own a 67 Chevelle 2 door 283cu with a powerglide tranny and an VFR Interceptor. I also had a kid on the way and could of used the extra money so I sold both of them...what a frickin mistake, at least for selling the Chevelle. To this day I could kick myself for selling that car. If I could only go back and do it again... hey anybody got a time machine I could borrow?
                              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                              X