Bike number two... gonna be weird

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike number two... gonna be weird

Greetings all!
    Just got a second bike in the fleet... It is a 1970 BSA Lightning. It was my father's, and he passed away a couple years ago. I was at my mom's and just got the idea to get it out and clean it up. It looks fantastic for being 36 years old. Just need to sand the points, get a new battery, change the fluids and it should be good to go. Going to weird getting used to. The shifter is on the right foot, and the brake is on the left. I'll have to get some pics on here so everyone can check it out! 8)
    Flush twice... It's a long way to the kitchen.

LET ME THE FIRST...

Comment

Let me know if you need any help, i have had my share of Brit Iron If you decide it's not for you, let me know,i am always looking for another project.
      Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Will do for sure... If it would stop raining here long enough to get a pic... don't want to get all that beautiful english chrome wet I'll get something up soon, as I agree this post id useless without pics! ha

Comment

We'll be waiting for the pics.
          Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

Originally posted by damien
            Will do for sure... If it would stop raining here long enough to get a pic... don't want to get all that beautiful english chrome wet I'll get something up soon, as I agree this post id useless without pics! ha
            It's not the chrome I'd be worried about. It's what they attempted to call an electrical system that would be my first concern.

I've been introduced to the lord of darkness on triumph cars, nobody comes away unscathed.

Comment

You will be haunted by the demons of Lucas Electrical systems until you replace them. Aside from that, it's an awesome ride

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cool I'll bet your Dad is lovin the idea from up above...gotta love the old....

Comment

Pics are here!!!

Here are some pictures... Still have some cleaning/rust removal to do, but it's not looking too bad after the first day.
                  Attached Files

Comment

have more pics

side view
                    Attached Files

Comment

more pics...

Here are a couple more pictures
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's farkin SWEET!

Comment

Neat ! Yeah , points aren't expensive . I'd get some new ones , or swap it over to an electronic ignition system (there ARE kits for that) . Yeah , Lucas electronics is something EVERY old biker will curse about if you ask them . But that bike has so much "cool factor" to it that it outta be worth the hassle !
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Sweet looking ride! Is the gas tank polished aluminum?

Comment

Unfortunately no it's not polished aluminum.... The guy that my dad got the bike from in 72 decided he wanted to paint the tank black. He did such a bad job (it looked like he painted it with latex house paint it was so rough) that I stripped it to get back to the natural finish. Well it turns out that same guy never heard of chemical paint remover, and had used a wire brush wheel to grind all the paint off So I am left with two perfect chrome stripes around the tank, and a top that is brushed chrome and sides that are brushed chrome... bleh. I am thinking of just clear coating the whole thing as a testament to stupidity. On second thought... I'll try to paint it as close as i can to an original tank sometime

Comment

Working...
                              X