X

crazy highway winds or tire problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy highway winds or tire problem?

Ok, help me out here.. Im goin nuts tryin to figure out what happened the other day, those who have been riding alot longer than me might be able to explain it.

I was entering the highway ramp the other day, and i accelerated fast and hard cuz i saw a couple of bikes as i entered the highway. Needless to say, I had no problem in catching up with them. I was right behind them, then all of a sudden, there was no more trees around the highway and it became an open field on one side. At this point im doin 80mph right behind them, and all of a sudden my rear felt like someone pushed it a little. Nearly to say, I thought I shat myself.

Now the question is, was it the wind? or my tires cuz my bike is outside 24/7 due to me living in an apartment complex?
    "What curse? You just sucked for 86 years!"

more than likely the wind. since you said you came into an open area. the wind can cause you to change lanes if you're not expecting it. turbulence from cars and especially big rigs can wreak havoc as well. just to be sure, check your tire pressures and carefully inspect them for uneven wear. note that the tires will develop flat spots in the middle from riding in a straight line most of the time.

Comment

I would also say it was the wind.
      I do alot of highway commuting and can tell when there is a field or open area, The wind can realy push you around when your not expecting it..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

It felt as if, someone like grabed the back of my tail and moved it a bit.

man like i said, almost shat myself.
        "What curse? You just sucked for 86 years!"

Comment

Your profile says '06 Ninja. That means the tires shouldn't be to blame, as they are new enough to be grippy (not some 5+ year old hard-as-nails tire). Tire pressure may be a factor though -- check it if you haven't recently.

PS - nimble is as nimble does

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Surely can't hurt to check the tire pressure, but most likely the wind. Since most of my riding is on wide roads or very wide open highways I have grown to hate the wind. I've been blown out of my lane before and I'm sure I'm not the only one. What really helps me is totally dropping my elbows so my arms are as loose as can be. A death grip on the bars with stiff arms makes the wind a lot worse to deal with because you're fighting a losing battle - you gotta go with the flow. Also try to squeeze the tank as tightly as you comfortably can and lower your profile a bit. The wind is always gonna suck, but you get used to it eventually...
            ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Yep assuming your tires are in good condition as CP mentioned...also assuming the road conditions didnt deteriorate ( new paving, or stripping of the previous road surface ) then its the wind. You can notice your bike starting to feel light and pretty squirrely sometimes when you're out riding in an open area where there is no trees or building to break up the gusts.

Just keep a firm but comfortable grip, slow down till your comfortable and ride it out.

Comment

wind sucks,comes out of nowhere and bamm!!your riding like its your first time....

Comment

I hate windy days!
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

My cat feels as though someone's trying to knock the tires out from underneath me, and the top of the bike is not affected the same way the lower area is.

I stiffened the forks up from a couple of notches and haven't had any troubles since.
                    MikeG
                    Central Oregon
                    2006 Suzuki GSX600F
                    (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

Working...
                    X