X

Paint Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Question

Does anyone know enough about painting to asnswer this question?? I want t know how much the basecoat color effects the appearance after the top coat has been applied.....am i making sense with the question???

If you are talking rattle can, then three coats seems to be safe. one, not enough, two getting close, 3, just right. If you are on a budget then three would be the minimum.

Comment

I would agree, usually 3 coats color and 3 clear is what I do

Comment

What base and what top coat- it can make a huge difference or none at all depending on materials used.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

By base coat do you mean primer as in a two stage system, base-clear, or a three stage base-top-clear, like a candy? No matter which system your using the primer can affect the end results.
          Richard
          96 Suzuki GSX750F
          89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
          05 Yamaha WR450F
          05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

So what your saying is, even my color primer is going to effect the end result color??? SOB! Do they make different color primers???? Dumb question, but all i have seen so far has been just gray...

Comment

What's wrong with gray? it's always worked fine for me. It's pretty much the standard primer color. You can basically put any color paint on top of gray primer, and it should come out fine.

But yes, they do make different colors of primer. Yellow, Black, Gray, white, and brick red are all fairly common. The only way I can really see it making a difference though, is when painting white paint over black primer, or something like that.

If it worries you, just put an extra coat of paint on, and you'll be fine.

Comment

yea i have gray primer, with a metalic bright silver pearl basecoat, and a candy blue top coat.....i thnk i should be ok.

Comment

you'll be fine with that scoob.

some automotive paints use a 'valueshade' system to determine the undercoat(primer/sealer) color. some paints are translucent enough that if you were to say, prime an area where a repair was, and simply wetsand the remaining panel and try to paint it, it would 'bleed' through with a different overall shade of color in that area. problems like such also show the true value of using a sealer after all body work and priming before painting. a uniform undercoat will ensure uniform color results.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

listen to Teddy

Comment

Hey, thanks so much for all the information!!! I just ordered all the paint and supplies last night.....just found my replacemtn front fender from last year i ordered when someone backed into me.....i just never put it on lol. So all is going to finish sanding the next couple of days.....

Comment

Working...
                      X