X

Dumb Rookie

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Rookie

So there I was just a cruisin along on this main road extension. Just installed my new gauges, and needed to be sure the needles and everything were working right....

So what do I do, I accelerate to about 90 mph and head for the first turn in the road, (which is not a hairpin). As I approach I say to myself "Damb its a bit windy out today" Then as I am entering the turn I feel myself start to float to the outside. Whoa wtf is going on....MORON its to windy to be riding like that. I rolled off the throttle and leaned to the right, and to my utter JOY I came out of it, but that was the first time I had been pushed by the wind. Anyone else have that happen, and did I recover the right way. So the remainder of the ride was about 55-60. Comfy and safe all the way home.

Note: no traffic when going 90, and was not leaning over whilst going 90. Maybe I need to stop sitting straight up and just go...Input please.

Viper
    "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes.... It's how they lived"

I've been blown around by stronge winds and almost pushed of the road. This was on a straight road. Luckily, I wasn't travelling too fast but it was still scary.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I've been caught in some bad wind before. On a trip from Phoenix to Tucson I found myself having to lean into the wind to stay on the road! It sure didn't last long, as I took the first exit I came across and hung out at the rest stop for about half an hour waiting for the storm to pass. Rain isn't so bad. Wind sucks balls when riding, though.

Comment

this was a straight road, and only after I entered the turn was I blown to the outside. on a straight away i wouldnt be as freaked out I think..
        "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes.... It's how they lived"

Comment

YEP....Ive said it before wind sucks.....especially on a beautifully plastic covered bike such as ours!!

Comment

I freaking hate the wind!
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

it just adds to the challenege
              slowing down helps
              as does leaning into it
              stay very alert
              it's kinda fun
              as long as there's not much traffic
              You're Welcome,
              - The Social Invalid

Comment

Yes the wind will definately do that too ya. Happens alot when you're out on the open road with windy conditions since there's no trees or building to block the gusts. Just be aware of the weather conditions every time you ride and watch for wind advisories, it gives you a heads up to be alittle more cautious than usual. The gusts can come up at any time so you always want to be prepared.

When you're exiting the turn you want to be on the throttle to power yourself through it, thats a general rule of thumb anyways so depending on where exactly you were in the turn it sounds like you had the right idea..the good thing is you didnt get on the brakes, which can be a knee jerk reaction sometimes. That would have caused to bike to want to stand up prematurely which would have added to the problem.

Comment

I kinda figured I had done good, but needed reassurance. I should have known better than to go as fast as I was, but hey new bike, new rider, fortunately I didnt dump it. I would have been pissed, and my wife would have killed me if the fall didnt. Anywho, gonna keep it slow, and leave the fast stuff to ya'll experienced folks. I got to much invested in my life (kids, career, house, yes and wife LOL). anyway be safe people....
                  Viper

Comment

I've ridden in a couple different class 2 hurricanes... weird feeling leaning over about 20 - 30 degrees just to go straight. I don't mind a stiff wind -- I hate really fast gusts that come up out of nowhere.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i rode in hurricane rita 1 day before it hit.pretty windy

Comment

hurricanes? i thought dust storms here in the desert were bad - well, they can be.. but hurricanes? i can't even fathom the concept

Comment

Originally posted by schlagdogg
                          hurricanes? i thought dust storms here in the desert were bad - well, they can be.. but hurricanes? i can't even fathom the concept
                          I lived in Scottsdale for a few months (about 1/3rd of a school year) and I would rather ride in the feeder bands of a class-2 hurricane than in a serious Arizona dust storm -- at least visibility is better in the hurricane...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X