X

Slight engine "tick" not a "knock"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight engine "tick" not a "knock"

Just wondering if this is typical? It sounds to me to disappear when the bike warms up, but there is a very slight ticking noise coming from the engine.

Its a new bike (to me), so im getting paranoid about every little noise i hear hehe.

Anyone know what it might be, or if its something i should have looked at?

Standard answers:

Some ticking is normal; excessive ticking isn't. Water-cooled bikes run quieter because there is a water-jacket around each cylinder -- that the kat's engine doesn't have.

If you bought the bike recently and don't have documented evidence that the services were done, get the valves adjusted (or adjust them yourself -- search for the how-to here), and if it sounds like a singer sewwing machine at start-up, replace the cam tensioner assembly spring. Oh, and use better oil

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hehe thanks Cyber...

Yeah, the owner was an Aircraft Engineer who did the work himself, so maybe i will give him a call and see if/when was the last time it was done.

If not, perhaps i will roll my sleeves up and give it a shot.

Its not REALLY noisy... just a slight tick, but was comparing it to my friends GSX-R which is watercooled.... makes sense.

ANyway, the info is much appreciated!

Comment

Could be the exhaust expanding. May try snugging the exhaust bolts.

Comment

ive compaired mine to my buddys R1 and yeah its a night and day difference! His bike runs silent at idle compaired to mine.
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

[quote=Kat2k3;1276004]

Its not REALLY noisy... just a slight tick.....quote]

My '05 750 kat, i noticed did the same exact thing!!! it's reassuring knowing mine isn't the only one doing it lol it doesn't do it since i've changed oil last week tho.
            I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

He was so full of knowlege it's astounding
            Reading the news, my heart was pounding.
            My prayers go out to his family & friends.
            He is the best there was and ever been.
            RIP Marc "Cyberpoet" Glasgow

Comment

05-18-2007, 08:42 AM
              Just sayin .....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Mine ticks at idle and ticks at speed. Mine makes funny noises I've never heard before when I accelerate. Pulls good so I try to ignore it where I can.

Comment

Mine started making a slight tick after an emergency stop from low speed last week. It is due for the 7500 mile service. I am taking it the shop today as my current work schedule keeps me from doing this my self. I am going to try and describe/demo the tick to the mech to see if they can eliminate it. As to better oil I use Castrol ACT-EVO 4T

So my oil shouldn't be an issue and I use the Purolator ML16818 filter. I'll post an update after the maint and let you all know what they find if anything.

Enjoy
                  If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

when out with the boyz they say they hear a whistle outta mine. Under my lid I cant hear it. But giving the fact that there chasing me I really dont care!! heehee I have a feeling my "tick" is a cam chain slack adjuster that needs replacing but I really need to get it in and broken down and look at it to confirm. Till then I relish the fact that there trying to catch a ticking whistling Pre 750 on there brand spankin new kawi 600s!!! LONG LIVE THE KAT!!!!!!
                    Joker
                    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like to you need louder exhuast...
                      Originally posted by arsenic
                      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

LMAO time to remove the baffles!!!!
                        Joker
                        sigpic

Comment

OK here is the follow up from my previous post. Got the Kat back from the shop today and talked to the mech (has a soft place in his heart for the Kats) and talked to him about the ticking that I had noticed. Turned out all of the intake valves were to tight and one exhaust valve was to loose. After he adjusted all the valve no more noise.

After talking to him he also asked what kind of oil I was using as under the valve covers was extremely clean. Told him I use Castor Oil ACT-EVO 4T.

Hope this helps
                          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

HEAR HEAR!!!! TY TO ALL that make it possible!!!!
                            Joker
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X