X

Gas tank overflow leaking.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank overflow leaking.

I have a problem if I fill my bike up with gas it will leak out the overflow hose to about half a tank. I bought the bike from a friend who let it sit out in the weather for a few years. The tube that goes through the gas tank has rust on the inside of it. I think there is a hole in the overflow tube where the gas level was from sitting. Did anyone else ever hear of this problem? Aside from replacing the tank with a new one is there a way to fix it ? The tank is welded and there is no easy way to just replace the tube. I thought about trying to push a rubber hose down the inside of the tube but there is still a lot of rust in there. Any thought or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Its a 2001 750, if it matters on tank differences.

dam,
    Well you should lean the tank really well.. then clean it again. I would pressure wash the tank (IMHO) then if you have any weak spots you will notice them right a way. You could plug the over flow where it comes out of the tank with some gas approved epoxy. Or if it is just a nasty mess... replace the tank. If you want to know what years fit... do a search. Check a fiche too (Ron Ayers.com)

Comment

I have done a few gas tank repairs, it is a pain in the buttox and they suck in general. I say if you can afford it replace with a new or a good used tank.

Comment

un bolt the top cap and the plate on the bottom where the fuel gauge sender unit it, that'll give you a lot more access to see exactly whats wrong, and you may be able to patch it up. But you should start scanning ebay, and posting a WTB thread just in case.
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Working...
        X