X

Wonkey Spedo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonkey Spedo

So i bought my used 1998 GSX600 kat, amazing machine but there is one rather annoying problem with it... the speedo is wonkey as hell, so much that i usually have no idea as to how fast i'm going and usually forced to follow other traffic or just guess.

It flops around all over the place, if i'm going ~80 the spedo will bounce anywhere between 50-80 up and down and every where in between.

I'm not really sure how the speedometer functions (some sort of gearing i'm assuming) and I'm sure its a quite involved fix but I'd like to at least attempt to fix it myself before submitting to taking it to a shop :P

Wondering if there are any aftermarket (digital maybe) speedometer kits i could purchase that would fix the problem.

Sorry i cant give much more information, i just don't know enough about it

I would check your cable ends, Unscrew if from both ends and make sure the sockets in screw into are not damaged, And the cable is not broken, If the cable is fine and the sockets are not rounded out, Then you need a new speedo. Your description makes me think of my K1000 that did the same, It was the insert in the back of the speedo. Cost like $3 to fix it.
    Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

I had the same issue on mine. The speedo pickup on the 98+ bikes is a little magnetic pickup that reads the speed of the front sprocket. I apparently got something caught up in my chain and it broke the pickup, pushing it out through the shifter cover.

Inspect that first for any cracks, you may have to buy a new cover and sensor like I did, it's about $100 worth of parts if I remember correctly, but it's easy to install.

I'll see if I can find my old thread about it...

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Last edited by Kila-Beave; 04-05-2008, 09:25 AM.
      - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
      2005 F4i -

Comment

agreed... check the sprocket cover where the speedo reads the sprocket and make sure it is ok
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

awsome guys thanks i'll take a look thisafternoon and let you know how i make out.

Comment

alright i opened her up today and looks like i have the same problem as Kila-Beave

heres a couple pictures: I'm going to take the cover over to a friends house and have him TIG up the crack in the housing, and i'll buy a new sensor, any ideas as to where i could buy one? (the magnetic pickup i guess its called)

Thanks!

Comment

yeah, that would do it
              myspace
              2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

based on the size of the crack, do you think i need to replace the entire housing or just the sensor?

as i said to keep the housing structural i can take it over to a friends house and have him TIG up the crack, my brother and i will go out here in a minute and take the cover off, i'll take a couple more pictures if i notice anything else wrong.

Comment

Is the sensor messed up? pic is blurring. I say have your friend weld it back and put it back together and see what happens

This is my thread from a few days ago when I had an issue. different issue, but in one of my pics, you can see the inside of the cover with the sensor attached:

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
                  From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
                  Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.
                  Last edited by Mat0302; 04-05-2008, 01:58 PM.
                  myspace
                  2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

yeah, it looks pretty worn around the cylinder part i don't really know if that would make a difference but i think it is., heres another picture of it, its still blurry (goddamn ****ty *** zellars camera)

As for the cover, we took out all the bolts, removed the shifter lever, but we were unable to remove the cover, its seized in there pretty good.

Comment

the cover takes some jiggling to pull it out. If you have a rubber mallet, you can tap it loose.

I say try it before you buy a new one.
                      myspace
                      2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

well i tried putting the sensor back in and firing the biike back up on the centerstand, ran it through first and 2nd and the speedometer doesn't give any reading at all now lol.

I'll order a new sensor (hopefully my local maclean sports can order one in) and give that a go before i bother to tear off that cover and replace that too.

Comment

alrightie, managed to get er fixed, thanks for all the help fellas, turns out the magnetic sensor was fine, it was the bit connected to the front sprocket, it was LOOSE! lol, figures its always the simplest freaking thing.

Thanks again for all the help,

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Drezdun View Post
                            alrightie, managed to get er fixed, thanks for all the help fellas, turns out the magnetic sensor was fine, it was the bit connected to the front sprocket, it was LOOSE! lol, figures its always the simplest freaking thing.

Thanks again for all the help,

Nick
                            That's the same thing that happened to mine.

Comment

My speedo started bouncing a few weeks ago, I found this thread and decided to take the sprocket cover off and see if I was having the same issues. I found nothing wrong with the sensor, or the wheel which triggers the sensor. All bolts were tight, and nothing was damaged.

I moved on to check the wiring to the sensor, and found no noticeable damage to the wiring, checking it all the way back to the main harness.

The needle doesn't bounce all the time, and I can't associate anything that makes it happen when it does.

Any Ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X