X

96 Kat cranks but no start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Kat cranks but no start

SO a couple days ago I started my 96 Katana without any problems. Today I go to start it and it just cranks and cranks and cranks but wont start. It keeps sounding like it wants to start but no cigar. It smells like it is getting fuel and it sounds like it also. Has about 1/8th tank of gass in it. I can even hear is swoosh around if I lean bike side to side. It made a huge popping sound out the tails after cranks for a while (ignited built up fuel in cynlinder?). I also checked for spark and I am getting spark from all plugs (did screw driver to grond test). I event took off tank to check and make sure everything wire wise was good and it was. I messed with the choke and idle screw and still nothing. Im freakn stumped here. I don't know what could have changed in 2-3 days that would stop it from running. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Additional info:

I tested the wires going to each coil and get a positive voltage reading at all times (with key on and engine start switch engaged)which doesn't seem right but didnt pay much attention to it since I was getting spark from the wires.

Orange/white wire: 12+v
    White wire: 12+v
    Black/Yellow: 12+v

Please help me GURUs

You may just need some more gas. I've had mine run out with plenty to slosh around. It would crank and try to fire but won't stay running. If it ran fine the other day it could be that simple.

Comment

^ Very logical. I will try that. I went ahead and pulled the plugs out and ordered some more also. They looked pretty fouled.

Comment

Plus at the bottom of your take is all your icky gas. Actually it floats on top but you get what I mean.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

as long as you have the tank off why not run a hose to an empty gas can or other suitable container, flip the petcock to prime, and drain the rest down. get rid of that old gas by using it in the lawn mower or somesuch. little fresh gas, give a swish, dump that too. your lawnmower should run just fine on a mix of old and new gas.
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by freshlane View Post
            ^ Very logical. I will try that. I went ahead and pulled the plugs out and ordered some more also. They looked pretty fouled.
            That'd explain the backfire .......
            Last time MINE backfired and wouldn't start , it was a fouled plug .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Don't bash me here guys. So looking at the petcock I should turn the arrow to the right to prime (drip some gas down the line) then back to the center before starting correct? I will drain the gas out this afternoon to also rule out that problem. The plugs in the bike were NGK CR8EK I believe. Is it okay to go with the NGK CR8E (non platinum plug)?

Comment

Katana No Start

O.K. I will tell you my little story, I just bought a 96 750 Kat and it failed to start (just Like yours) the first day I had it. So it tuns out that the clutch switch is bad. If I pull it all the way in it will just crank and act like it wants to start. So if I pull it in half way and let it out just a little it will fire up every time. Hey just food for thought, your problem kinda sounded like mine.
                Eric
                "I am not going faster officer, everyone else is going slower than I was"

Comment

I will look into that also. However I believe my clutch switch is bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by EBritain View Post
                    O.K. I will tell you my little story, I just bought a 96 750 Kat and it failed to start (just Like yours) the first day I had it. So it tuns out that the clutch switch is bad. If I pull it all the way in it will just crank and act like it wants to start. So if I pull it in half way and let it out just a little it will fire up every time. Hey just food for thought, your problem kinda sounded like mine.
                    Eric

The clutch switch prevents the engine from turning over unless clutch lever is engaged, if it turns over it can't be the clutch safety switch.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I'm with md86, my money is on fouled plugs. I bet when you rean it a couple of days ago it wasn't for a ride but to charge the battery so you only ran it for a few minutes, am I right? Mmind you the weather has been pretty good so you could have rode....hmmm still going with fouled plugs.
                      R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Clutch Switch

If I pull the clutch all the way in it will just dim the lights down and not crank, then if you pull it about half way it will only crank, ease off a little and then it will fire up. I think I will just bypass the darn thing and be done with it..

Eric
                        "I am not going faster officer, everyone else is going slower than I was"

Comment

"crank and crank and crank" = low/dead battery
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            "crank and crank and crank" = low/dead battery

Fresh Gas
                            Fresh Plugs
                            Fresh Batter
                            Make sure your getting gas to the carbs

and ... you'll be golden
                            Currently Riding:
                            1995 Katana 600
                            V&H Exhaust
                            Jet Kit

SOLD
                            2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                            1987 XV700 Bobber
                            REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

i had the exact same problem with my 94 kat 600 i was riding it parked it in the driveway and when i went to restart no go ,!!! it was the carbs . they were dirty cleaned em and it started right up. i am in the process of syncing and setting the mixture as we speak
                              BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

Working...
                              X