X

Just picked up bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up bike

I just picked up my new to me katana on saturday. It is an 88 600 with 22K. First thing I noticed was that the upper fairings are shot. Will be looking for a good set soon. All the fasteners have been replaced with plastic inserts and screws, not attractive with the bad plastics. The PO left the fuel tank in prime, and emptied the gas tank in the oil. Pulled a couple of plugs, and they are black. Front forks feel like there is no oil in them, and rear shock feels wooped too.

Going to Ron Ayers today to pick up the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, K&N air filter, and order a manual. What forks/frontends will fit these bikes without too much mods? How/where to I drain/refill the fork oil? What rear shock will work besides stock? Where can I pick up new mounting hardware for the plastics?

I am hoping to get the bike running today or tomorrow. Hopefully with the fresh oil and plugs, she'll fire up and run. Anything else you all would suggest doing? Thanks for the info.

Go look in the how to section. It will answer about 90% of your questions. If you need any more help after you read that then post back up here and we will get you going.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

nicely done, I just got an 88 600 also and have been bringing it back to life. Congrats on teh purchase! Also, stick with the stock filter if you have stock jets, you won't regret it
      -1999 White FRC Corvette
      -2003 Black Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

yeah +1 the K&N air filter is certainly not good.

Comment

Got it fired and running today. Ordered the K&N, never had a problem with any other bike I've put it in. Seems a little rich right now anyway. Sounded strong, and no noises. Soon to be back in shape.

Comment

K&N.... Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... good luck w/ that.
            GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

What's wrong with them in this particular bike? Run them without jetting in every bike/car/truck/tractor/boat I have.

Comment

Yea whats up w/ that . I have one on my K6 and she runs strong....carbs are jetted also. I havn't heard anything neg about the K&Ns until now
                sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Yeah K&N filter are baaadddd on on a Katana. They suck more air in then you can exhaust out, hence you have a tunning issue. The stock filter is wwwaaayyy better, Suzuki actully got that right. K&N are a good filter, no doubt, but they certainly don't work on a Katana. I'm a Suzuki dealership mechanic, find someone that tells you they are good and I'll tell them they are wrong and why they are wrong.

Comment

hello, welcome to KR, you haven't heard anything negative about them? Have you read any posts here?

Comment

This is one I will have to see for myself. The motor is only going to pull in as much air as it can use. The filter just makes the process easier. With the 4-1 exhaust, it will also breathe out alot better. If it runs like a turd with the filter, I will put the stock one back in.

Comment

okay, funny you should say that the 4-1 exhaust breathes better, the full exhaust has nothing to do with how it breathes out, at all. The constriction point is in the collector, with a full exhaust your not changing that. So go ahead and see for yourself but before you waste your money on a K&N filter, just know it WILL NOT WORK. Go ahead and talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about, go ahead, this isn't my opinion, this is fact.

Comment

Well then, what other parts will fit for front ends and shocks? That is my next upgrade, and you can't tell me there isn't any better parts than what came from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by elkat
                            Well then, what other parts will fit for front ends and shocks? That is my next upgrade, and you can't tell me there isn't any better parts than what came from the factory.
                            Rear Shock Interchange Guide:

Fork Rebuilds with PVC Shim/Spacer:

Search feature:

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I know about the search feature. It brings me a lot of non sensical stuff I don't have time to search through. Working 11 hr days, and a one year old I don't have time for much else, and figured some smart guys already knew where to go. Thanks for the links, the rear shock helped, but I was looking for a front end with a little more adjustability.

Comment

Working...
                              X