No announcement yet.
X

Lowered the Kat (front)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the only pic I have with the fairings off. Loosen one bolt at the top tree and two bolts at the bottom tree, then left the fork slide up through the trees. You can use the weight of the bike to help you, but do it slowly and one at a time.

myspace
    2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate your help.

Ride Safe

Comment

Mat,thanks for posting a pic that really helps
        Watch for your Guardian Angel
        750 '04 Kat (blue)

Comment

I lowered the front 1 inch. Big difference in the ride; it handles quicker.

sigpic

Comment

another update, i have noticed under hard braking even the slightest bump will bottom me out. and im only lowered 1 inch!! Not a big deal in everyday riding...but somethint to keep in mind when you really need to stop...
            2002 GSX-R750
            2001 GSX-600F (sold)

Comment

you need to be careful about upsetting the geometry of the bike as well. Lowering only the front will shift the weight closer to the front of the bike causing the rear to lift easier under heavy breaking. I think some of you guys are pushing the envelope as far as safety is concerned. Just be careful and test ride your changes in a safe environment to understand how you affected the bikes handling, before you hit the streets.

cheers

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I have noticed when you brake hard on the front, the rear tire will lock up easier. my bike is also lowered 2" in the rear. i didn't notice much if any difference in braking. It would make sense though if you lowered only the front, under hard braking the rear brake isn't going to do much.
                myspace
                2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Lowering the front a full inch is going over board IMO..
                  You can bottom out the fork against the triple trees without lowering. (though technically it shouldn't) taking a full inch out of the travel is really pushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat0302
                    It would make sense though if you lowered only the front, under hard braking the rear brake isn't going to do much.
                    other than skid out and cause you to lose control.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

considering it only lowered my seat height not even 1/2 an inch after i lowered my fork an inch, i dont think it changed the geometry of the bike all that much.

Ill AutoCAD a few drawings so see how much they really changed.
                      2002 GSX-R750
                      2001 GSX-600F (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Jabara57
                        considering it only lowered my seat height not even 1/2 an inch after i lowered my fork an inch, i dont think it changed the geometry of the bike all that much.

Ill AutoCAD a few drawings so see how much they really changed.
                        Hmmm ok..
                        But do you know how much is too much?

Comment

dropped mine today too(1.25" in front). i have the front set to the stiffest and the rear is on the lowest setting. i may change the rear setting back and order some of those custom dog bones from ne-oublie later. it looks great and i like the way it handles. the only problem i have is my freeway blaster sometimes hitting the fender.
                          BLACK KATS R THE SHIZNIT!!!! :flipping:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter

Hmmm ok..
                            But do you know how much is too much?

I dont think anyone does, or this wouldve been a really short thread. I certainly cant figure it out, that would require a very heavy mass based analysis, unless someone has a nice set of front and rear scales so i can figure out the weight distribution change.

asuming we knew that, and if we had the center of gravity of the bike, as well as the geometry while under braking,you could make a reasonable guess about the weight on each tire. But all of that takes alot of asumptions and is beyond what i can figure out....probably

im just trying to see how much it lowered my bike.

is 1 inch too much? 2 inches? what is "too much"?? I have no idea, and without knowing all of the above, neither does anyone else. What is "safe" is purely speculation
                            2002 GSX-R750
                            2001 GSX-600F (sold)

Comment

"Raising or lowering the front end of your motorcycle puts more or less weight on the front end. However, the handling change due solely to the change in weight bias is negligible."

-sportrider.com

trail does affect handling alot however, and im trying to figure out how much mine changed.
                              2002 GSX-R750
                              2001 GSX-600F (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X