98+ 600 sprocket change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ 600 sprocket change

hey,
    just wondering if anyone with a 98+ 600 has went one down in the front and 2 up in the back, or even just 1 down in the front. just seeing what kinda differenece you are feeling and if its worth it. i searched and saw the post for the 750 but wondering if neone with a 600 has done any sprocket change what it was and how they are feeling about it afterwards. thank you very much looking into this but dont wanna waste any moneY

How about down one in the front and up three in the back. Awesome get up and go. Lost 20 miles per hour off top but I never ride up there anyway. My 600 will keep up with my buddy's stock 750.
    Bike is sold

Comment

awesome do you wheelie at all??? is it easier??? was it worth it to you??? and yes any gearing reviews would be greatly appreciated. gas mileage any worse?? give me full review on it if you dont mind

Comment

Originally posted by icyhandlz
        awesome do you wheelie at all??? is it easier??? was it worth it to you??? and yes any gearing reviews would be greatly appreciated. gas mileage any worse?? give me full review on it if you dont mind
        No it won't wheelie since I did the dog bone mod. The rear end is up two and half inches. More weight is now on the front.
        My setup versus a stock Kat uses one litre of gas more per tank.
        Worth it indeed. The lower speed throttle response is so much better. No longer is the bike a slouch rolling the throttle in top gear.
        Bike is sold

Comment

I've got a 750, but I can say it's quite a difference, 1 down 2 up. It's basically like losing your 6th gear though. I'm revving at about 5700 now at highway speeds (and the speedo is WAY off now).
          I'd suggest picking up a 45 or 47 tooth rear sprocket at the same time, incase you're planning any longer distance cruises.

Comment

k, just i dont wanna go stunting all over the place but me and one of my buddies is a stunter and its still fun to wheelie and i cant get it up stock. i see ppl saying they do it all the time, and i just cant do it. so im just hoping the 1down2up will 1) give me more usable power down low and 2.) help me get it up. anyone care to give me personal life experience on the gearing helping you wheelie better??? not just that should do it, i only wanna hear from ppl who have actually done it on the 600 and to know how much it helped and or didnt help. thanks guys.

Comment

I have an 05 kat 600. It was kinda hard to do a wheelie when i got it. Just keep working with your bike and you will figure out where she likes to ride. I can ride a wheelie all the way thourgh 2nd and all I've doen is go down one in the front.

Comment

thanks

thanks kat-n-rnd that's what I was looking for hehe I think ill do one down one up unless u can vouch for the low end power on one down knowing now that one down will get me up and can u get up in second???! thanks agaib

Comment

well, i've done some other things to the bike too. I have a yoshi exhaust, k&n air filter, 120 jets,down one in the front....even though i've done all this other junk to the bike, the biggest change that i could actually feel was going down one in the front. I would suggest going up two in the back as well as changing your front. i think the front was like $22 and the back is something in the $40 range. I wouldn't wast time or money with anything else, it's just a dissapointment. except exhaust it will atleast sound good.

Comment

awesome dude, its official then. ill order the sprockets next week appreciate it. and did you get a 120 chain and cut it or did you get a 118, im just wondering if the 120 is gonna be too long so ill have to cut it or not???

Comment

no. I didn't get a 520 conversion kit. I used my stock chain. I havn't had any problems as of yet, and I did the work about 6 mos. ago. good luck

Comment

He didn't ask if you did the 520 conversion. To answer your question, I would go ahead and order the 120 link chain so you make sure you have enough. The difference in price is only a couple of dollars. I went down one in the front also, but I still ordered the 120 link chain. I didn't want to have to send a chain back because it was too short. This way, I knew for sure!
                        Trust me, I'm a doctor!

Comment

chain

my concern is I don't have a chain breaker or rivet tool and logically wouldn't the 118 fit just right??? and when u ordered the 120 did u shorten it or just use it as was??? thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it

Comment

He didn't ask if you did the 520 conversion................................Geeee Ward wasn't that a lil hard? I was tired and read quickly. My bad.....I can't answer that question. I just went down one in the front and kept my stock chain. I have had no problems and my chain runs about four lines from the rear of the swingarm.(the little marker lines).

Comment

i have a 97 600 kat and if i clutch it i can ride a wheelie all the way through first and thats bone stock i went up 3 in the back and still cant pick it up in 2nd but the front end jumps up in the air in 1st now. hell i broke my second gear yesterday tryin to get it up in 2nd.

Comment

Working...
                              X