X

82 Fork Parts problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 Fork Parts problem

I'm rebuilding a stock set of forks, (82 1100 Kat) and looking to order some new slider bushings/ anti friction rings/ slide metal, or what ever you choose to call it.

However looking in the manual, or online parts fiche, there appears to be no upper part, just the lower part on the stanchion,is that possible?
    It sure looks like it has an old part in there to me.

Anyone encounter this before, or have an answer?

Thanks.

Originally posted by johnod View Post
    I'm rebuilding a stock set of forks, (82 1100 Kat) and looking to order some new slider bushings/ anti friction rings/ slide metal, or what ever you choose to call it.

However looking in the manual, or online parts fiche, there appears to be no upper part, just the lower part on the stanchion,is that possible?
    It sure looks like it has an old part in there to me.

Anyone encounter this before, or have an answer?

Thanks.
    I'm not nearly as familiar with the older than 88 models, but...

A glance at some of the parts fiche shows to me the call one part a Metal Slide and another part "Free Piston"... both look like the parts your asking about. Check your fiche again?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

This is the Alpha part fiche site, check 82 1100 Kat.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Piston is part number 7, that's the lower bit, if you find the other bit, please let me know, and I'll owe you a beer.

By the way 8 is not it, that is essentially a spacer.
      Last edited by johnod; 03-19-2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I just rebuilt my forks, the parts diagram is correct with the forks I have. I'm not sure what upper part you are talking about, something that was in your forks when you took them apart? Sometimes guys will shim the top of the springs at the piston (#8) with a metal sleeve or PVC sleeve to help adjust the ride, maybe it was a "shim"? Not sure, do you have pics?
        Last edited by Suzuki_dog; 03-20-2017, 07:19 AM.
        GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_dog View Post
          I just rebuilt my forks, the parts diagram is correct with the forks I have. I'm not sure what upper part you are talking about, something that was in your forks when you took them apart? Sometimes guys will shim the top of the springs at the piston (#8) with a metal sleeve or PVC sleeve to help adjust the ride, maybe it was a "shim"? Not sure, do you have pics?
          Agree with Joe. My Katana had a aluminum sleeve the previous owner had installed.
          79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

If you are rebuilding the forks, I suggest Progressive springs. Around $80 for the pair, but worth it. The originals were stiff.

Comment

If you go to the alpha parts fiche above , bring up 1982 GS1100EZ, ES front damper.

You'll see part 10, which the Kat has, now look at part 8, that is basically the same as 10, except it's pressed into the lower leg, and the stanchion slides up and down in that.
              So the stanchion doesn't wear on the lower leg itself.
              Most forks I've worked on are similar.
              The Kat doesn't have that a replaceable part apparently.

If you are rebuilding the forks, I suggest Progressive springs. Around $80 for the pair, but worth it. The originals were stiff.

Ya they are incredibly stiff, did the progressive springs fix that?
              Last edited by johnod; 03-21-2017, 09:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you go to the alpha parts fiche above , bring up 1982 GS1100EZ, ES front damper.

You'll see part 10, which the Kat has, now look at part 8, that is basically the same as 10, except it's pressed into the lower leg, and the stanchion slides up and down in that.
                So the stanchion doesn't wear on the lower leg itself.
                Most forks I've worked on are similar.
                The Kat doesn't have that a replaceable part apparently.

Ya they are incredibly stiff, did the progressive springs fix that?
                The '82 GS1100EZ ES is not the Katana. Look on the '82 GS1000SZ parts fiche. They do not have the same forks. I have both bikes, and the forks are different. I think you were looking at the wrong fiche.

Progressive springs helped alot. You will still have to play with the dampening settings, but it will be like night and day.

Comment

Not meaning to "threadjack", but I have an interesting story on my Katana forks. Last fall the right fork completely failed in the compressed position. I've never seen this, nor has many of my Suzuki friends. Took the fork assembly off to try and pull the upper from the lower sleeve, no luck. Took it to a local bike shop, no luck. It is as if they were welded together. Luckily, I have a friend who "hoards" Suzuki and Katana parts in his attic. I ended up buying his set and rebuilding them to make sure the same thing would not happen, again. I have not had time, yet, but I am going to cut open the old fork and see what's going on inside and maybe figure out why it failed...

I got lucky, these front forks are hard to find, and even harder to find in good condition.

Comment

The '82 GS1100EZ ES is not the Katana. Look on the '82 GS1000SZ parts fiche. They do not have the same forks. I have both bikes, and the forks are different. I think you were looking at the wrong fiche.

I realize it's not the same bike, you didn't seem to know what I was talking about, I used that to illustrate what it was.

Comment

I realize it's not the same bike, you didn't seem to know what I was talking about, I used that to illustrate what it was.
                      OK. I am no help in this conversation. All I can tell you is that the '82 GS1000SZ parts fiche for the front damper that your link shows, matches the parts that are in my front damper on my '82 GS1000SZ. The part that is "extra" that you are referring to should not be in the GS1000SZ forks. Maybe someone has put different forks on your bike?

The link to the '82 GS1100EZ ES that you used for reference does show an additional slide at the top, which is correct for the '82 GS1100EZ.

Without having the forks in front of me or pictures, I would think that:
                      1. It's a spacer someone put in.
                      2. They are GS1100EZ forks, or some other forks.

Last edited by Suzuki_dog; 03-23-2017, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X