X

can you recondition the frame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you recondition the frame?

Hi all, Iv a old 1989 GSX600F and shes in a bit of a state! I was thinking off fixing her up and maybe goign a bit all out when doing so.

I was playing with the idea of stripping her right down and reconditioning the frame - IS THIS POSSIBLE? it a bit rusty inplaces so thought of maybe sanding? of rust and maybe old paint a sending off for powered coating? I dotn actually know how powder coating works, so I dont know if this idea is possible?

Also woudl want to do swing arm if am goign to do it, cos thats got a fair few patches of rust and I want her lookign sweat (swingarm has now been painting, but would like it to be if i do this)

all advice and ideas please!

thnks!
    owner of a very ill and upset 1989 GSX600F. - poor baby!

You can powdercoat the frame and swingarm. A frame is just painted steel anyway.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I say go for it!

Comment

If you have an air compressor, I'd say go to your nearest Harbor Freight and buy a sand-blaster for cheap. Then buy a quart of POR-15. Sand-blast the frame and repaint everything with POR-15 to seal it against rust.

If you don't have an air compressor... get one of those at harbor-freight, too. All in all it will be cheaper than having some shop strip and powder coat it.

Comment

Cost vs end product...

I've been quoted less than $250 for PC on the full frame and swinger. For the amount of work that would be required for me to do it myself, that sounds like a great deal to me...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Cost vs end product...

I've been quoted less than $250 for PC on the full frame and swinger. For the amount of work that would be required for me to do it myself, that sounds like a great deal to me...

Krey
            Did that include sand blasting?
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Chrome might be 350-400 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                Did that include sand blasting?
                Yes, that was me dropping the item off, and picking them up nice and new looking.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

theres a shop in columbus that powdercoats your entire bike for $500
                  Chrome Project Part 1
                  http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Cost vs end product...

Krey
                    " for PC"?

Originally posted by mreedohio View Post
                    theres a shop in columbus that powdercoats your entire bike for $500

I live in the UK. and also nice bike you got there! :P
                    Last edited by itfben; 11-10-2009, 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes, that was me dropping the item off, and picking them up nice and new looking.

Krey
                      That's a hell of a deal.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

My dad and I recently had a car frame blasted and powder coated (blasting was with walnut shells I think). The whole process cost around $600. That was for a Triumph TR3 frame... so quite a bit more surface area than a bike.

The last frame we did ourselves using a sandblaster and POR-15. It turned out fine, and has held up great for the last three years or so. The nice thing about POR-15 vs. Powder coating is that you can touch up spots that get chipped away (pretty inevitable for a vehicle). Also, POR-15 will flow into cracks and gaps and such (or into hollow frame members), where water would tend to collect. Powder-coating won't penetrate quite as well, and the item being coated has to be heated in an oven to get the stuff to cure.

Don't get me wrong, PC results in a beautiful finish and is really durable. IMO POR-15 is more maintainable, but not quite as pretty.

Comment

Hi thinking up taking some advice about powdercoating, my teering head bearings need replaces, cn these be done before the powdercoating or might i aswell wait till after?? or sdo they not spray down the stem?

Comment

Originally posted by itfben View Post
                            Hi thinking up taking some advice about powdercoating, my teering head bearings need replaces, cn these be done before the powdercoating or might i aswell wait till after?? or sdo they not spray down the stem?

Screw threads, machined finishes (bearing seats, etc..) normally should be plugged off. PC (Powder Coat) paint is a fairly thick coating that will cause issues for any close tolerance areas. Just about any decent PC shop knows this, and takes care of it for you. They general will want you to tear down/break down/remove any parts and pieces like bearings before delivery to their shop.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Screw threads, machined finishes (bearing seats, etc..) normally should be plugged off. PC (Powder Coat) paint is a fairly thick coating that will cause issues for any close tolerance areas. Just about any decent PC shop knows this, and takes care of it for you. They general will want you to tear down/break down/remove any parts and pieces like bearings before delivery to their shop.

Krey
                              so if the bearing and that have to come out the is it worth getting them put in after the pc'ing? i need new ones and was guna get a shop to do it, so whats my best option? tear doewn the bike get the shop to take the old ones out send it to the pc place and after powdercoating take to shop so they can put the new ones in?

Comment

Working...
                              X